Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I think you'll find that most MF and LF users use a cable release rather than a self-timer. A question you may wish to ask is, "Since I'm using a cable release and a tripod, why limit myself to 35mm?"

There's some great Bronica gear out there for pennies on the dollar... The improvement in quality between 120 film and 35mm is profound.
    Good luck with your tests.

ps - I use mechanical cable release (Pentax brand) for MF and LF but my Contax 35mm has an electromagnetic cable release that is very good. The mirror slap is likely your biggest cause of shake. I've done a lot of low light (night) work recently with a camera that I dare not mention in this analog group and found that if your exposure is going to be 2 minutes or so, any mirror shake would be inconsequential to the overall exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thorney,

I do plan to move on to medium format. I'm only waiting for a good oportunity, that is, a good camera with a good price. In fact, "moving on" is not the right way to put it, since I like to do also a kind of photography that demands the flexibility that only 35 mm affords.

As to exposure times, I was thinking mostly of shorter times, like 1/15, 1/8, 1/4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most LF have no mirror. Many MF are leaf shuttered. I guess a higher precentage have mirror lock up then the 35mm world.

So things are different in LF and MF.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Edimilson View Post
    Thank you all. I think I get the idea. I'll do some tests and see what I find out.

The fact that I shoot 35 mm must be considered too, I guess. The difference between using a cable release and the self timer would probably be more pronounced on medium or large format negatives, I believe (??).
    I think you will find that using the self timer in conjunction with a long cable release will give you the best results, IMO, virtually vibration free.

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I think you will find that using the self timer in conjunction with a long cable release will give you the best results, IMO, virtually vibration free.

Don Bryant
    I agree. I use this for long exposures. I manually lock the mirror up once i've set shutter speed and aperture. Then i set the camera to timer mode, then i block the viewfinder, then i press the electronic cable release button. Then, for some strange reason, I hold my breath until i hear the shutter fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin