Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,750   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon Lenses not stopping down

I have two Nikon lenses that aren't stopping down, a 20mm AF and a 105 AIS. The lenses don't stop down even when I slid the black lever on the back of the lens. Is this something that can fixed?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry. Any good camera repair shop can get the parts to put a new iris in your lenses.

What makes me wonder is why both lenses aren't stopping down. You might want to bring the camera in as well, just in case something in the camera is breaking the lenses.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New parts are more than likely not needed.
    Usually the reason the aperture doesn't move is that lube from the focusing helical has migrated to the housing & is causing the iris to stick to the housing.
    The surface tension can't be over ridden from the really light spring used to stop the poor little thing down.
    It's a simple(?) Cla to correct
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    New parts are more than likely not needed.
    Usually the reason the aperture doesn't move is that lube from the focusing helical has migrated to the housing & is causing the iris to stick to the housing.
    The surface tension can't be over ridden from the really light spring used to stop the poor little thing down.
    It's a simple(?) Cla to correct
    That's been my experience too. I had it happen to a Pentax lens and a Vivitar. Both were rarely used and quite old and I think that was the root of the problem. At the time Vivitar had their UK HQ in the same town as me so I took it in. They put it right and didn't even charge though it was years and years past its guarantee expiry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had to return my 20/f2.8 back to Nikon three times already in the last 1.5 years for this exact problem. Each time they simply clean and re-lube it. It's been a real disappointment for me. But, I guess as long as it is covered by the 5 year warranty, I have one less thing to complain about.

Good luck.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Nikon 50/f1.4 that I have had fixed twice. I don't use that camera or lens much over the winter and this spring the thing is stuck wide open, again. Is this a problem with these lenses? Is my house too dry?
    Lynda

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lack of use was the problem with mine.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My opinion is that they are fixing the problem but not the cause. Next time, they need to disassemble the lens completely and replace the lubrication on the helical. This is the source of the oil that is migrating into your iris.

They should know this and coming from a repair background, I expect a lot more from Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbob View Post
    I've had to return my 20/f2.8 back to Nikon three times already in the last 1.5 years for this exact problem. Each time they simply clean and re-lube it. It's been a real disappointment for me. But, I guess as long as it is covered by the 5 year warranty, I have one less thing to complain about.

Good luck.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can anyone recommend a good place to get a Nikon lens CL'A'd?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    My opinion is that they are fixing the problem but not the cause. Next time, they need to disassemble the lens completely and replace the lubrication on the helical. This is the source of the oil that is migrating into your iris.

They should know this and coming from a repair background, I expect a lot more from Nikon.
    And like everything else today, anything you do to make the job go faster means more money in your pocket.
    Cleaning out the diaphragm housing & avoiding cleaning & relubing the helical means that much less work(time) for the technician.
    If the tech's on commission it means he can go on to the next piece that much more quickly. If the tech is an employee on an hourly rate Then management uses the same logic. Time is money, quit wasting my time(I can hear the whip cracking now).
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin