Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,881   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    hi all, thanks for the replies. looks like rangefinders are the way to go huh?

film guy, i do actually have the canon 50/1.4 already and also the 35/1.4 as well (huge lens!). I just cant seem to find a suitable body that can do low light work without the AF hunting or metering wrong.

if i have to go fully manual, Id much prefer to leave the slr stuff alone, and play around with rangefinders, just because (from the 2 times i handled them) the focussing method seems easier, esp in low light conditions.

hah! im trying to justify buying new toys!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the Canon, too - I use an early model F-1 with a 55mm f/1.2 and the viewfinder is big and bright, great in low-light situations. It's built like a tank, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    an a-series canon with a 50mm f/1.4 is actually a pretty swell low-light kit. light, not too noisy, CHEAP, and high quality

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you still have your old minolta system, use it. I very much like the SRT101, 200,201 series.

Shooter
    35mm
    jmdavis, ive been looking for that minolta high and low but its nowherein sight, mustve got somewhere in the move years ago, or hidden somewhere in the house.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used a Elan 7 for a while and recently picked up a 1V. While I liked the Elan 7, the 1V is pretty awesome for everything. I also use a rangefinder and it is great for certain things, but to be honest, with a smallish prime (50/1.4 or 28/1.8) on the 1V, it's not that much more obtrusive than the M. Sure it takes up more space in the bag, but on the street it really doesn't attract any more attention. Mind you, I don't use a big tele-zoom on it...

The 1V and the M make a great set in my mind. Wish I had a nice 35 for the M though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Turn off the AF! It's not that bad to focus these cameras manually.

An old EOS 620 or 630 would be a great, cheap low-light camera for manual focussing.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cannon QL 1.7, good fast lens, easy to use in low light, leaf shutter works with flash at all speeds, light weight, a good second body to an SLR. Non interchangable lens, limited meter, and difficult to get serviced or repaired. But for around $40.00 to $70.00 very usable. .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The EOS 600 series aren't too bad to focus in low light. I've used my EOS 650 to take shots in a smoky late night bar using an old M42 mount lens with adapter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not to keen on SLRs for street work either, A Canonet might be a good choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    SLRs are ok for street work, as long as you know the limitations of the SLR, and aren't always obtrusive with a huge lens or camera. It's also depends on how you move around slowly and not "in your face" towards your subject. There's photojournalists out there who're using a professional SLR and wide-angle lens and their subjects don't even pay any attention to them. Watch the documentary, "War Photographer", and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin