Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,070   Online: 912

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please help :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

please help :)

I shoot b/w film and most of times I use my Nikon F80. Now... Im going to purchase a digital slr and I am wondering.. does nikon lenses fit both analog and digital nikon slr's? I was thinking of buying the nikon d80.

regards, kim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know almost nothing about this myself, but the following might help:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wrong forum for a sensible answer, in fact any answer.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Catton View Post
    I shoot b/w film and most of times I use my Nikon F80. Now... Im going to purchase a digital slr and I am wondering.. does nikon lenses fit both analog and digital nikon slr's? I was thinking of buying the nikon d80.

regards, kim
    Dear Kim,

Yes. I have a D70 as well as several Fs and Nikkormats. Be warned, though, that you lose ALL metering with older (manual) lenses on a D70. Probably with a D80 too, though I don't know.

Cheers,

roger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since the D80 and any lenses that need to be bought can run high over $1000, you might consider staying with your film camera and instead buying a dedicated film scanner. The Nikon models are highly rated. Remember that you will have a 1.5 focal length factor on lenses in digital.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Nikon digital (of which I have several) will work fine with your lenses as long as they are auto-focus and chipped. You lose nothig at all. For lenses with no cpu on board you will lose all metering but can use manual mode and auto focus confirmation. Not worth the bother imho. If the lenses are AI (older manual focus lenses you will not be able to use at all - and they could damage the camera) If you go towards the more pro end of the spectrun then all the lenses will work righ on down to Ai lenses with only the loss of matrix metering. For that and other reasons the D200 at only three hundred dollars more is far more worth buying - over the D80.
    Good luck. I've gone the other way. I've had most of the canon digitals and then switched over to the Nikon side two years ago on the strength of the ergonomics which led to a spur of the moment decision to buy an F100.

What the heck was I doing I wondered? Finding true photography as it turns out. This crazy going back, this insane fling - with film has somehow rekindled my love of photography. I think digital has it's strengths - but film sure has it's place and somehow to me anyhow, feels more real, more of a skill.

Nikon's system is great because of the high interchangebility of components and the large used market. Yes, digital is great ... but also to be considered - $1300 could buy you a great nikon coolscan, a good lens or two and a few months of amunition for your new coolscan.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. "Analog" lenses will work on DSLRs, but "digital" lenses will NOT work on film SLRs.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thanks a lot.. and don't worry... im not switching at all. Its what I do for a living that demands of me to buy a digital camera I only shoot film and I am constantly trying to perfect the art of B/W photography. I simply love the blend of art and chemistry. I would, at any time, prefer film over digital.

regards, kim.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    What the heck was I doing I wondered? Finding true photography as it turns out. This crazy going back, this insane fling - with film has somehow rekindled my love of photography. I think digital has it's strengths - but film sure has it's place and somehow to me anyhow, feels more real, more of a skill.

Nikon's system is great because of the high interchangebility of components and the large used market. Yes, digital is great ... but also to be considered - $1300 could buy you a great nikon coolscan, a good lens or two and a few months of amunition for your new coolscan.

This is probably the reason I just went out an ordered another Nikon F body yesterday! I also ordered an non AI 50mm 1.4 SC lens to go with it. I'm hoping that I will force myself to use this cool combo without giving in to the temptation of using an older optic with one of my DSLR's. Yes, it can be done, but just love the look and feel of film shot with old Nikon optics. Besides, using older optics on newer cameras just makes me lazy in terms of evaluating exposure, focusing, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin