Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

EOS 35mm body for IR

I'm looking for an alternative to my elan 7n for use with IR film (I have a couple of nice eos lenses, so I've got no desire to switch 35mm systems).

I've read the pages here at photonotes: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/

Can anyone confirm that the EOS 10S works well with kodak HIE? What about the 650? I've seen both of these used in a shop here, and I'm considering picking one up. The main issue I'm wondering about (not mentioned by the photonotes page) is the big gaping hole in the back that displays the film cartridge loaded - does this interfere with IR, and is there an IR-opaque material I can put over it if necessary?

Thanks. Any suggestions welcome.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I'm looking for an alternative to my elan 7n for use with IR film (I have a couple of nice eos lenses, so I've got no desire to switch 35mm systems).

Can anyone confirm that the EOS 10S works well with kodak HIE? What about the 650? I've seen both of these used in a shop here, and I'm considering picking one up. The main issue I'm wondering about (not mentioned by the photonotes page) is the big gaping hole in the back that displays the film cartridge loaded - does this interfere with IR, and is there an IR-opaque material I can put over it if necessary?

Not a complete answer, but some -hopefully useful- thoughts:

I don't think the "big gaping hole" should be your biggest worry. Newer EOS models use IR light and sensor in film transport (counting sprocket holes). That may be a much bigger issue. (Ah, I only clicked on the link in your post just now. Well, exactly that!)

I have only used "moderately IR" (Rollei IR-400) film in my EOS 30, which uses IR for film transport. For this film, it's not a problem. HIE might be a different story, though.

EOS 650? Sure, no IR used for film transport, but as it is an "old" model, it's prone to another problem: oily shutter. That's why I bought a 2nd hand EOS 30 a few years ago: my EOS 650 from ca. 1988 had developed this problem.

EOS10S? Don't know that one... (Why-oh-why does Canon give completely different names to their models in various markets?)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Walter, I have successfully used an EOS 600 for I/R and see no reason why the 650 should not work. The only modification I made was to put a piece of black insulating tape over the film chamber window !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The black tape is iffy. Some plastics have dyes instead of carbon to make them black, resulting in darn near IR transparency. If in doubt tape aluminum foil over the hole with the black tape. That said most folks using those cameras sucessfully report the foam seals around the holes are effective at sealing out the IR and see no need to use tape on the window.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post

Hello,

I have successfully used both an EOS 620 and an EOS 630 with Kodak HIE.

On the 620 I placed a piece of tape over the small window on the camera back. I did not on the 630. Neither fogged the film The 650 was built in the same period and should work as well.

BTW my 630 developed an "oily shutter" and I had it repaired for $75.00.
    It works well now and I love the camera.

Howard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

intermezzo: oily shutter

Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    (...)
    BTW my 630 developed an "oily shutter" and I had it repaired for $75.00.
    It works well now and I love the camera.

Howard
    (Sorry, a bit off-topic, I don't want to steal the thread, but I just want to ask...)

Good to know that. Actually a good idea, my EOS 650 body is now doing nothing, which is a shame, as I have enough lenses to carry around two separate sets of body + lenses... $75 is not too bad... Was this done through Canon, or a third party repair?

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Alright, thanks for the thoughts. I'll think about this EOS 10S then. If I can find a 77mm 25A (my current one is 67mm, for large format) I'll probably pick it up and start shooting this week (on vacation at the moment).
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    (Sorry, a bit off-topic, I don't want to steal the thread, but I just want to ask...)

Good to know that. Actually a good idea, my EOS 650 body is now doing nothing, which is a shame, as I have enough lenses to carry around two separate sets of body + lenses... $75 is not too bad... Was this done through Canon, or a third party repair?
    Hello Kraker,
    I had the body repaired by a local independent repair shop. He used the phrase"shutter overhaul on his bill. It didn't take too long and the repair person felt it was a routine repair. BTW I bought that particular body new and used it heavily.
    Hope this helps

Howard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    Hello Kraker,
    I had the body repaired by a local independent repair shop. He used the phrase"shutter overhaul on his bill. It didn't take too long and the repair person felt it was a routine repair. BTW I bought that particular body new and used it heavily.
    Hope this helps

Howard
    Thanks, Howard. Now I just need to look for an independant repair shop that's local for me .

I also bought it new, must have been in 1987, 88? It was one of the first EOS models, wasn't it?

shuttr.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like I'm jumping on this thread a bit late, but I have had no problems with my EOS 1N.
    The film ident window in the back is well sealed, and there is no IR counter inside.
    I've used it with HIE, EIR and the maco stuff with nil problems.

I can't comment on the EOS 650, because in the 3 days I owned one, I only shot a couple of films and discovered it had gooey shutter blades. It went straight back.

If you wanted to shoot HIE at 6fps, the EOS 1n is the beast to use
    (although I'm still looking for an excuse to try it)
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin