Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,559   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for clarifying the AI / AIS issue. over to ebay right now...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The FM2 is a wonderful camera -- I have a couple of them. The lenses you should look for:

Wide: 24mm f2.8AIS, 28mm f2.8 AIS or 35mm f2.0 AIS
    Tele: 105 f2.5 AIS or 135 f2.8 AIS

I've got at least a dozen AIS lenses but these ones are really great without being ridiculously expensive. I have the manual version of the zoom lens you have and the problem is that it gives too much distortion at the wide end (the variable aperture is also a nuisance).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AF lenses work fine though too, although the manual focusing isn't as smooth as a manual focus lens. (Of course the autofocus doesn't work on FM2.) My favorite lens with my FM2n was a 20 Nikkor AF.

Before going Ebay, check out KEH, a very reputable dealer. Their "bargain" lenses are often in better shape than Ebay "Excellent" ones. Plus, you can return the lens at KEH if it doesn't work out.

Shooter
    35mm

Lenses For Nikon FM2

The last 50/2 Nikkor was an AI model. It was available for about a year at the same time as the first 50/1.8 AI. If you can find one for not too much it's a nice lens. Two often overlooked lenses are the 28/3.5 AI and the 135/3.5 AI. If you don't need the extra speed these lenses don't cost very much but are good performers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As the OP is here in the UK, plugging KEH isn't going to help much. Try ffordes near Inverness – they usually have a good stock of used Nikon gear.

As stated AI or AIS lenses only (AF work but can be a bit of a pain, and are probably more expensive), but I would stick with Nikkors unless you're really strapped for cash.

It's hard to know what focal lengths to recommend without knowing the sort of thing you want to photograph...

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    As the OP is here in the UK, plugging KEH isn't going to help much.
    With the GB pound being so strong I'd have thought everybody in the UK would be cleaning KEH out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the suggestions for Nikkor lenses so far have been good. My favorite 3 lens kit is 24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/2; all are AI or AIS. None are bad. The 105 f/2.5 is legendary. I have one and it is very good. Unfortunately, I don't use it much. For the subjects I photograph, it's just a little too long. I like getting in close.

Shooter
    35mm
    ffordes is a great place to know about. thanks for the recommendation. i guess, ordering something from outside the EU can always incur additional custom charges, a real pain.

as mentioned before, i'm mainly going to take photos in low light environments. either at gigs or indoors, in a windowless (recording) studio. i'll be shooting mostly b/w. so i think an f stop under 2 is essential.

all the suggestions made so far have been incredibly helpful. i've got a much better idea of what to look out for. thanks!

(if someone has a brief and simple explanation of what AI and AIS are exactly, please post. having said that, i could just google it. )
    www.dancingwayang.com
    independent recording label

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../fm2/index.htm

Look around that website. Lots of Nikon stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    perfect! thanks for that link.
    www.dancingwayang.com
    independent recording label

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin