Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,784   Online: 732

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

lenses for my FM2

hi there.

after a long absence from photography, i'm getting back into it and have dug out my FM2 recently. i bought this when i was a teenager. in fact, i think it was my first bigger purchase from my own saved money, so it has great sentimental value.

back then i got a 35 - 70mm AF lens with it, but i now would like to buy a 50mm manual focus lense and possibly a wide-angle lense also. it's important that they can perform well in low-light. can anyone recommend some good lenses for me to check out? i have a limited budget, so i'm hoping i'll be able to buy something decent for under £100.

thanks.
    anna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 50mm F/1.8 used should be much less then 1/2 your budget. Reality is you could find one on an older MF camera and still spend less then $50. The 1.4 would gain you a little speed but it's an expensive bit of light you gain.

For the wide angle depends on how wide you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks nick. would you have any particular recommendations in terms of make / model?

wide angle - 28mm or maybe 24mm would be good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the 50mm no point not going Nikon. For the wide basically the same answer. I'm not very good on the wide end but I'm sure somebody will know which ones are better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anna, in 1985 I travelled to Germany and bought duty free a Sigma 24mm f/2.8 (I think it's actually called series II).

Anyway that lens is these days extremely cheap, KEH in the USA had one recently in excellent condition for $60 USD.

The filter ring size is 52mm so it fits in nicely with the Nikkor filter sizing.

My personal choice at the time, 1983 to 1987, was that Nikkor lenses were very nice, but for me slightly unaffordable. Looking around, I checked out the aftermarket manufacturers, directly comparing them alongside Nikkor lenses.

Tokina were reasonable, Vivitar Series 1 quite good, Sigma the closest to Nikon standards. Especially when allowing for the far cheaper price.

Sigma lenses also focus the same way as Nikkor lenses, this may or may not be important to you, but it was and still is to me.

I have made many excellent pictures with my Sigma 18mm f/3.5 and 24mm f/2.8. lenses

The Sigma lenses also have half stop indents, something Nikkor lenses don't.

The 24 mm lens should also have a plastic slip on fitting lens hood. It is heavily cut in the corners so it doesn't vignette.

I personally think the effect and coverage of a 24mm lens is terrific, the difference between 24mm and 28mm is huge.

If you are thinking of 28mm then the Nikon E series of lenses are quite good and quite cheap. They were an entry level lens and work perfectly. I have the Nikon 28 E f/2.8 lens and it is quite good.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    looking at some nikon lenses on sale on ebay, i'm not sure what i have to pay attention to... i don't want an AF lens because obviously the FM2 doesn't cater for autofocus. but what about AI, is this something the lens should have? there is a much older lens up for auction (apparently from 1969), but reading up on it elsewhere on the internet it says somewhere that it won't fit with newer nikon cameras and would have to be modified.

sorry, i'm totally inexperienced with all this technology. any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    mick - thanks for the very helpful reply! i'll investigate the 24mm options you're talking about...

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I bought my 24mm nikkor for 120 USD..it's great and the 50mm 1.4 is my favorite 35mm lens...spectacular stuff.
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 06-06-2007 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anna, your camera is designed to take AI and/or AIS lenses.

Pre AI lenses need to be AI'd to make them work on your camera. 20 years ago this was a normal thing to get done but the conversion kits from Nikon are no longer available. I had a lens AI'd and it was great.

I would suggest that you have a look at the KEH website, they have a wonderful range of secondhand stuff and the quality I have personally seen, with a Nikon FE2 camera bought last year from them was astounding.

They advertise on this site and you should be able to click their website from the home page of APUG (I think).

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The FM2 should be used with AI or AIS lenses. Unlike the FM1, the metering prong doesn't fold down to clear the aperture ring of an unmodified non-AI lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin