Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,995   Online: 858

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    for those who are interested how plastic is chrome-plated: The plastic material is in most cases ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene-Copolymer). At first the material is activated in a diluted solution of chromium(VI)oxide and sulfuric acid. In the next step a very thin chemical nickel layer is applied to make the part electrically conductive (a bath containing a nickel salt and hypophosphite). Then comes a galvanic copper or brass layer followed by a classic galvanic chrome plating. This chromium layer can be glossy, matte or black (I have seen this in Munich in the former AGFA Pocket camera manufacturing plant). Instead of galvanizing the part can also be painted. This process does not only give a decorative effect but also improves the mechanical stability of the plastic material.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap507b View Post
    FA also adds program shooting mode. It needs an AIS lens to work properly & shifts into a high speed program when anything longer that a 135mm lens is put on it (IIRC?). I bought an FA new back in 1986 & have been very happy with it. I have had no problems with it beyond the foam needing to be replaced.

I have an FE2 as well, picking one up cheap off of ebay a few years back. Out of the two I much prefer to use the FA. Two things that swing it for me are having an MD15 attached to the FA so find that it handles better & I prefer the LCD to a needle in the viewfinder. I also much prefer the FM2's LED viewfinder to the FE2's needle.
    This is incorrect. Program works just fine with any ai lens so long as you have selected the minimum aperture on the lens. It will show a FEE error when moved from the minimum in Program mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
    This is incorrect. Program works just fine with any ai lens so long as you have selected the minimum aperture on the lens. It will show a FEE error when moved from the minimum in Program mode.

Having read again what I typed nowhere do I say that you need an AIS lens for the Program mode to work & the next few words after where you have gone bold clarify why you need an AIS lens to get the best out of Program & properly select the best Program mode based on the focal length of the lens.

If you use an AI lens in Program mode it defaults to the High Speed Program. Fine if you are using a telephoto lens & want bias towards high shutter speed but not so good if you have a shorter lens & would prefer a bias towards more depth of field.

You are right on the FEE error, but an AIS lens is defintely needed for Program to work in the way it was designed & switch between the two modes. See this for confirmation: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ount/lens2.htm

Also if you have the FA manual to hand see pages 11, 17 & 21.
    Last edited by Ap507b; 08-21-2012 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually avoided the FA and FE like the plague when they were new, I owned one used several years back but never had the love affair with them that I did with my FM2 when I owned it. They just seemed like cheap versions of the F3 and by cheap I mean not as good. But then I always felt the F3 was not as good as the F2. I generally did not have the love affair with Nikon's early electronic cameras that I do with their manual cameras. The F3 though was and is solid kit. A good friend of mine has an FA with a MD attached which is still running strong and he bought his new so they cannot all be bad IMO.

Shooter
    35mm
    I lusted after an FA from the moment that I saw the advertisement & was smitten the moment that I got my hands on one. I did think of an F3 but the AMP metering & shutter priority in the FA tilted me towards it. A few years back I picked up an F3 to give my FA a quieter life & have since added a second. The 80/20 meter seems to me to be as accurate if not more so than AMP. FA's definitely aren't all bad. Apart from needing to replace the foam mine hasn't given me any problems in 26 years.
    David.

I have been using an FE2 (my first Nikon) since 1985. After many thousands of exposures, it is still my favorite because it's so easy to use. It weighs like a tank and cost like a space shot when I bought it and now, the FE2 and I are almost 30 years older. The FE2 seems much heavier now that I'm not quite so young. I'm looking at an FG (due to it's small size and light weight) and maybe an FA due to the fact that it may shoot reversal film better than just about anything else. I can't wait to find out!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got my first "used" FA about 4 years ago and a second body about two years ago as a spare incase the first one died on me. Neither have died (thank goodness) so far, but when they do there will be no repair, they will go to the shelf for display for historic purposes.

Hindsight now says to me that any flavor of the FM would have been good choice too, perhaps better if one wanted to hand it down to the next generation. But using an FA in the field sure is enjoyable......seems like all the modern cameras are a roll of the dice now (look at me calling the FA a "modern" camera) because of the electronics.

So does that mean that unless something is forced and broken, an "old" camera like the FM couldn't be repaired and lubed to work like new again? So how many years will the old F2's and F3's and FM's really last?

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap507b View Post
    I lusted after an FA from the moment that I saw the advertisement & was smitten the moment that I got my hands on one. I did think of an F3 but the AMP metering & shutter priority in the FA tilted me towards it. A few years back I picked up an F3 to give my FA a quieter life & have since added a second. The 80/20 meter seems to me to be as accurate if not more so than AMP. FA's definitely aren't all bad. Apart from needing to replace the foam mine hasn't given me any problems in 26 years.

I recently inherited my friends FA from him because he was going to discard it and he has never had an issue with it. I could not bear to see it be tossed , it is going to need to foam replaced at some point in the future and I need to find a place to have that done. Other than that though it does run well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Discard a working FA? ........I had to do the seals & the mirror bumper foam on my FA a few years ago & it is very easy to do yourself with a kit from Jon Goodman/Interslice.
    David.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin