Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,092   Online: 919

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FA Opinions?

Curious to know user opinions on the Nikon FA. How is the build quility, reliability? How does the 5 segment metering compare to the metering found on newer Nikon film bodies? How is the battery life? Will the shutter operate without a battery? Are there any special or annoying quirks you have discovered after using it for awhile? Anyone care to share their experiences with the FA?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mine has been pretty good to me. I haven't owned it long enough to have a real opinion on reliability, but it went with me to Europe a couple years back with no trouble. The 5 segment metering is adequate but lacks a lot of vertical patterns, so you may want to be careful if you do that a lot. I haven't had any problems with battery life, with or without the MD-15 (which overrides the camera's battery). The shutter has one manual speed, 1/250th if memory serves... yup, also B. The main annoyances I've had is that the stop down lever and self timer are awkward to reach with the MD-15 attached, there's no AE-lock, and I hate manual exposure on Nikons with LCD +/- indicators. In practice I only really notice the last one (mostly when using my 35 PC) and it's not that big a deal, and I appreciate the autoexposure modes. I also have a slightly easier time seeing the LCD with my glasses on than I do on my F3HP. A good little camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought mine used to take with me on a big trip to Ireland. I kept B&W film in one body and color in the other. After about three rolls through the FA, I simply fell in love. I left the other body (an FM3A!) in the bag except for the rare sunrise (needed color).

I can't say enough good about the FA. I shoot mainly in aperature priority auto or manual exposure and have never had the thing screw up an auto exposure - even with a speed light. I've run it without battery (1/250 second and B are all you get). I've dropped it, used it in all weather conditions and it just keeps going. Never a problem. Just what you'd expect from a Nikon.

The FA has even made me wonder why I ever sprung for a new FM3a (only the second new 35mm SLR I've ever purchased). And, the FA has certainly relagated teh FM3A to un-used status.

If I had to pick a nit, I'd have to agree that I wish it had a match needle metering display instead of the in view finder +/- in the LCD.

Incidently, I think Phil Greenspun has called the FA the best Nikon ever (but, that was a few years ago).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FA Opinions?

I've been using a Nikon FA since 1995 and it may be my favorite Nikon. I actually have two black models with MD-15 motor drives attached. I have used them quite frequently over the years, shooting a wide variety of subjects,...even weddings for a couple of years. One of my favorite features with the FA is the ability to use mirror lock up (activated by use of the self-timer) in aperture priority mode. Not many cameras can utilize stepless shutter speeds with the mirror locked up, and I find this feature useful for when I shoot certain things like macro work or landscapes. I agree with gchpaco, in that using the FA in Manual mode is not as enjoyable as, say, a match-needle camera, but other than that, I have no complaints. I've used both of my FA bodies in sub-freezing weather, extreme heat, rain, snow, etc. They're tough, accurate tools and I hope I can use them for many, many years to come. -Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't own one, but my camera repiar guy, tells me to stay away from them. Not a bad rig, but when the main electronics board dies (and they do), that it's very expensive to fix, if, you can find the parts. I find my FE, FE-2, N90s and F100, to be very reliable.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I don't own one, but my camera repiar guy, tells me to stay away from them. Not a bad rig, but when the main electronics board dies (and they do), that it's very expensive to fix, if, you can find the parts. I find my FE, FE-2, N90s and F100, to be very reliable.

Kiron Kid

I tend to hear that alot from repair technicians regarding any type of camera with electronics. I wonder how many times do they really encounter a camera that malfunctioned due to faulty electronics vs. one that has been soaked in water and malfunctioned due to user neglect.

I forgot to ask, are the top/bottom plates of the FA made of metal or plastic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own this camera and I think it's really nice to use. I has a lot of nice features, including a virtual mirror lockup when you use the timer. However, the camera has the feel of a high-end consumer model than a professional feel like the F3.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I tend to hear that alot from repair technicians regarding any type of camera with electronics. I wonder how many times do they really encounter a camera that malfunctioned due to faulty electronics vs. one that has been soaked in water and malfunctioned due to user neglect.

I forgot to ask, are the top/bottom plates of the FA made of metal or plastic?
    The top is plastic and the bottom is metal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmSprocket View Post
    The top is plastic and the bottom is metal.
    How odd. I was about to say the brassing on my top plate speaks to the contrary, but I looked at the brassing patterns again and apparently there's a thin plate of metal or something and it looks like some sort of very hard plastic underneath.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, I don't know about the top plate being plastic...mine's got a pretty nice dent in it that suggests otherwise. Maybe production switched at somepoint from metal to plastic?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin