Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon King View Post
    I have a Retina IIIS in front of me. It does share lenses with the SLR versions. Not all of the lenses have the rangefinder cam, but they will all mount. The IIIS has all the elements in front of the shutter. The folding Retina rangefinders had elements on both sides.
    Thanks Jon. I have to confess (if it were not already obvious) that my knowledge of late rigid-bodied Retinas is lamentably poor.

Possibly because they're so big...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Thanks Jon. I have to confess (if it were not already obvious) that my knowledge of late rigid-bodied Retinas is lamentably poor.

Possibly because they're so big...

Cheers,

R.
    They aren't small, that's for sure. My knowledge of them is current, which helps tremendously - If I had not seen them for 5 years I doubt I could keep them straight. I have a Retina Reflex III which came from my grandfather, and when I learned that there was a rangefinder that could take the same lenses.. well.. I had to try it. They are very interesting cameras, excellent lenses, but I think they are showing their age a bit more than some other old cameras. My avatar shows an older camera that is older than me, and I'm sure will outlast me.

Regards,
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Roger, Jon, AgX and Dan,

In the past, heard about an adaptor for the Leitz Super-Angulon-R to be mounted on the M-4, I will have to consult some old catalogues to be certain...
    But, tell me, what 'Zwischenring' did Lietz NOT have?

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I only knew that that Retina was a leaf shutter coupled rangefinder camera constructed in a way that one could exchange lenses the same way one was used with focal plane rangefinders: leaving the shutter at the camera. Inter-changeability with a reflex model was new to me. Does the leaf shutter housing bridge exactly the film/flange distance to make the lens compatible with the reflex body? And there still would be the aperture issue.
    Can confirm that earlier Retina Reflex lenses also coupled with a Retina IIIS (I have a Reflex III in front of me, just sold a IIIS). The shutter and aperture RING are permanently installed in the camera, the aperture ring is marked F1.9(the largest aperture of any available lens) down to f22, the actual aperture(iris diaphragm mechanism) is built into each lens. If you put an f2.8 lens on the camera, the aperture ring will not turn wider than this.

The Retinas are, among other things, a celebration of the wonders of string, since this is what is used to connect the aperture/shutter spped rings to the (non-TTL) meter in the camera top plate. Over time, the lubrication of the various pulleys dries out, when an attempt is then made to set the film speed on the meter by pushing a button and turning the aperture, something often snaps! Of course the shutter/aperture/mirror operating sequence is very complex and the mechanism often gums up if a camera is left unused for any length of time. A great pity, since I think the f1.9 50mm Xenon could give a contemporary Leitz lens a good run for its money. The cameras and lenses are very cheap to buy, lenses easy to find in near-mint condition for £25 or less, costly to get serviced even if you can find someone to do it (my friends Newton Ellis & Co. do). The non-instant-return mirror will be an annoyance to younger photographers!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    Dear Roger, Jon, AgX and Dan,

In the past, heard about an adaptor for the Leitz Super-Angulon-R to be mounted on the M-4, I will have to consult some old catalogues to be certain...
    But, tell me, what 'Zwischenring' did Lietz NOT have?

Philippe
    Dear Phillippe,

Yes, just about any reflex lens can be adapted to almost any RF -- with scale focusing and manual diaphragm. In fact I have a custom adapter from SRB to allow the use of all Nikon-fit lenses on all Leica screw or M compatible cameras.

But it ain't quite as convenient...

Cheers,

Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin