Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,852   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dual use lenses…

Have there ever been made lenses to be fitted on SLRs as well as on coupled rangefinders with the system having the following features?

-) same mount at both cameras an the lenses

-) same flange distance at both cameras

-) steering device for range finder on the lenses

-) coupling for automatic-aperture on the lenses (or more coupling of controls)

Not to my knowledge, but perhaps you know more.

(automatic aperture is an ambiguus term, I refer to an diaphragma which is automatically closed to a value somehow set, manual or automatically, before the shutter opens and is fully opened again afterwards)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, because no-one would want an absurdly thick-bodied RF camera (your point 2) or pay for an auto-aperture they didn't need (3).

On the other hand, early 35mm Alpas had both reflex viewing and mechanical coupled rangefinders. They antedated the wideapread adoption of auto diaphragms as far as I recall.

You might want to look for a copy of A History of the 35mm Still Camera, by yours truly, but it's rare and long out of print (Focal Press, 1984).

Cheers,

Roger

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger,

Those rangefinders would not necessarily get excessively thick, as one could use an intermediary coupling.

Well, you would have paid for that automatic diaphragm, but in return would get two lenses for the price of one, so to say.

I didn’t think of the early Alpas. Thanks for that hint.

Of, course this whole dual use concept is questionable. But photographers using two complete kits of gear means a questionable expenditure on resources too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Roger,

Those rangefinders would not necessarily get excessively thick, as one could use an intermediary coupling.
    Yes they would. It's the flange-film distance, typically at least 15mm greater for the reflex in order to accommodate the mirror. Imagine a Leica 15mm thicker: that's a 50% increase. Even an M8 (5mm thicker than an MP) feels quite fat and ungainly.

Also, the wide-angles would have to be Retrofocus design (bigger, heavier, lower image quality, more expensive) in order to clear the mirror when being used on the reflex body.

Why not approach it from the opposite direction, and put a Visoflex housing on a Leica? Infinity focus with 65mm lenses and upwards, though still no auto diaphragm as this adds very considerable bulk and complexity.

Cheers,

Roger

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger,

You misunderstood my reply. Fitting a special coupling ring to enable lenses made for that long film/flange distance would enable the use of them on a range finder, concerning this very issue, without making the rangefinder bulky as a whole.

As you said that reflex intermediaire would only enable the use of certain lenses. Most probably I would prefer a reflex body to that.

Yes, using a retro-focus construction on a rangefinder wouldn't yield best results concerning optical performance.

Anyway, I'm not advocating such a system, just asking if this was ever given a try.
    We are speaking of a hybrid system, something being a compromise. Not neccessarily a good one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Roger,

You misunderstood my reply. Fitting a special coupling ring to enable lenses made for that long film/flange distance would enable the use of them on a range finder, concerning this very issue, without making the rangefinder bulky as a whole.

We are speaking of a hybrid system, something being a compromise. Not neccessarily a good one.
    Ah, sorry, yes, I see. But the expense and inconvenience would, I think, dissuade most people. Two systems might be cheaper...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. I'm away from my reference materials, but I believe that there were some lenses that could be used on Retina Reflexes and on some rigid body Retina rangefinders.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. I'm away from my reference materials, but I believe that there were some lenses that could be used on Retina Reflexes and on some rigid body Retina rangefinders.
    Dear Dan,

The front groups may have been interchangeable (I don't remember) but as the rear groups were fixed in the camera I'm not sure this counts.

Cheers,

roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

I have a Retina IIIS in front of me. It does share lenses with the SLR versions. Not all of the lenses have the rangefinder cam, but they will all mount. The IIIS has all the elements in front of the shutter. The folding Retina rangefinders had elements on both sides.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only knew that that Retina was a leaf shutter coupled rangefinder camera constructed in a way that one could exchange lenses the same way one was used with focal plane rangefinders: leaving the shutter at the camera. Inter-changeability with a reflex model was new to me. Does the leaf shutter housing bridge exactly the film/flange distance to make the lens compatible with the reflex body? And there still would be the aperture issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin