Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,382   Online: 954

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SFX Promo Filter Problem

I was happily clicking away at my first roll of SFX 200 today, using the supplied filter from the value pack. I felt a fine mist of water from a fountain in the foreground I was shooting. Low and behold, when I removed the filter after my shot, I saw many fine little pin sized divots into the filter. At first, I thought it was still the droplets of mist, but I could not wipe them off- It's like the water dissolved the filter. Now, I realize it's a gelatin filter, and it was essentially free with the 3 packs of film, but come on! I would expect something a *little* more durable. It's like it was made of jello gelatin! Did I get a dud? I don't think so, as the build quality is quite flimsy, and the filter itself is super thin- I guess just what you'd expect in a promo pack......I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Is there any way I can salvage this filter? I believe it's essentially an 89b, correct? I guess I'll just have to buy the real filter...... What *is* the cokin filter number/name equivalent to this promo one, anybody know?

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filter1.jpg   filter2.jpg  
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nope.

It's a gel filter. Same as Kodak Wratten filters. And yes, it's made out of jello gelatin, hence the name. I've already wrecked one gel filter so far.

Polyester filters would be better but still cheap, but nobody makes an 89 polyester.

The Cokin 007 would probably fit the bill. Or a screw-in IR filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap- I wish I knew to protect it better.
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm looking for a company who can cut filters to size.

http://www.knightoptical.co.uk/acata...tenGelatin.htm

Do you have anyone in Canada that does the same thing?

You could try a Cokin P series 007 (Wratten 89B)

or B+W 092

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cokin makes an IR filter:

http://www.adorama.com/CKP7.html?sea...ared&item_no=2

According to the above URL, it transmits 50% @ 720nm. I have this one; it works quite well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be worth pointing out that the Ilford/Cokin SFX filter available separately is the same filter as supplied in the promo box so if you do not want a gel filter which is easily damaged, the Cokin A007 or P007 may be a better bet. B+W and Hoya also make glass Wratten #89b compatible filters.

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most of the B+W and Hoya filters are also coated optical glass. I have scratched several of the cokin filters and I avoid them for heavy use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin