Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

cleaning marks on lens

i today received a 50/1.8 nikkor lens that i bought on ebay. as far as i can tell it is in perfect condition, except that the front glass has what appears to be cleaning marks... can i do something about this? i haven't tested the lens yet, but generally how bad news are cleaning marks? are they likely to show up in pictures?

if anyone has had experience with this, please tell me... thanks.

anna

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Only you can tell if the cleaning marks adversly affect your photography. I retired a f/2 Summicron, partly because of fairly heavy cleaning marks. The worst effect was reduced contrast, especially in shadows. An efficient lens hood helped somewhat, though. Removing cleaning marks isn't cost effective on a lens that can be easily replaced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Removing cleaning marks isn't cost effective on a lens that can be easily replaced.
    ... Well, but Arax charges only 30 USD for polishing and multicoating a lens. They did a good job on a Nikkor front lens I sent them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 85mm Nikkor f1.4 with light cleaning marks on the rear lens. Doesn't seem to bother a thing.

I had a 35mm Nikkor f1.4 with heavy cleaning marks on the rear lens. It didn't start to get sharp until F8.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have two 50mm Nikkor-S f1.4 lenses, one is pristine (spent most of its life in a plastic bubble) and one with pitting (about a 100 pockmarks in the front element from sand blowing) and with a hood on both lenses at 5.6, same scene, same roll, same development, same body, I cannot discern any difference in 8x10 prints examined with a 4x Schneider loupe. Without a hood there may be a small difference.

Go figure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cleaning marks are a strange one.

I've bought 2 or 3 lenses with cleaning marks, one described with bad separation - it came thrown in with a camera. A good clean with Nilglas, screenwash is just as good, and the lenses were all optically perfect. The lens with separation just had 50+ years of dirt around its rim.

That doesn't mean this is always normal, scratches are quite different I have a Ross (Protar) WA that has bad and deep scratches, and had an unusable Summar with wispy light wipe marks which cause bad flare.

First try carefully cleaning the lens, then try using it, it may be fine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marzipan View Post
    ... Well, but Arax charges only 30 USD for polishing and multicoating a lens. They did a good job on a Nikkor front lens I sent them.
    Do they have a website? If so, I'll bookmark it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://araxfoto.com/

I assume it is him. I bought a camera and lens from him years a go and he was pretty good.

OTOH I think the comment that it doesn't make sense for a lot of common lenses stands. You can get a brand new AF Nikon 50mm 1.8 for not much more then $100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i actually prefer to buy lenses with small marks on them as they're a lot cheaper and i can't notice the difference. i have a zeiss 85 f1.4 that has tons of cleaning marks. got it for $250 and i can't notice the difference between it and my 50 f1.4. it usually goes for about $550 on ebay. on wide angle lenses you'll notice it more, but on the telephoto side, not really. i've seen some pretty destroyed telephotos that still take great photos. just make sure you have a hood.

Shooter
    35mm

Comparison

I owned a Canon FD 50 /1.4 and a Canon FD 50 /1.2L. The first, although used for many years on my A-1, was in exc condition with no cleaning marks. Years later I fulfilled myself an old dream and bought a F-1 with the 50/1.2L at Ebay. The 1.2L did have obviously visible cleaning marks on the rear element - that was the reason it was so affordable (pristine examples can reach four figures!). But at any aperture the 50/1.2L's performance was so beyond the "standard" 1.4, that I never cared for any traces of those marks. Pictures were tack sharp and contrasty even wide open (if you managed to hit the DOF at 1.2 ... but that's another story).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin