Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,716   Online: 767

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it costs money to build a factory/machine to automate production to. For low volume production it might be cheaper to hand make something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...And I can appreciate the quality of hand-worked precision-made equipment (I own Leicas myself). But I also appreciate Canon and Nikon (as well as Glock and Walther) machine-built plastic parts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    But it costs money to build a factory/machine to automate production to. For low volume production it might be cheaper to hand make something.
    Dear Nick,

Eminently true. Except that hand-lapping can't be mechanized, though Leica is doing research into how to mechanize it. (So is Zeiss, probably, but I forgot to ask them).

Hand building also makes it a LOT easier to do 100% quality control, at every stage, instead of batch testing, and this is a significantly bigger factor in the price of top-flight equipment than the labour involved in building it.

Also, the market for the best possible, at any price, has always been small. In one sense, a robot-built Ford is a better car than a hand-built Bristol or Ferrari, where a lot of the bits are selectively assembled or 'eased to fit' (not the engines, so much as the bodies). But which would you rather have?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    I might be slow to understand the article, but can someone here explain how the writers of the article connect the sales of non-digital SLR lenses to a recurrance of film in Japan? As far as I know, Nikon and Canon's non-digital SLR lenses can be used for their digital counterparts.

I'm all for a film comeback, but somehow the article doesn't make much sense in how the two things are connected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    film_guy,

See my post in this thread. We are still on the same page.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I just love these articles. S much for the film is dying group.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin