Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,120   Online: 844

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Film SLR Camera Lenses on the rise in Japan

On this website:

http://www.photomarketing.com/dailyn...p?dt=6/11/2007

i read the following article.

You can find it down near the bottom of the page.

Film SLR lenses shipments in Japan exceed numbers from last year

A new trend in Japan is 35mm SLR users are continuing to buy lenses that are compact and have higher zooming ratio, says Photo Trade Express, a trade weekly.

CIPA statistics show shipments of lenses for 35mm cameras are exceeding last year's shipments. DSLRs that are still limited in the number of models as well as total shipments may not logically support continued growth of lens shipment.

"Those who own a 35mm SLR and those who recently bought a used SLR may be using their cameras with new lenses that offer improved features and quality," an exec of a lens maker speculates.

Some specialty stores in Japan that handle both new and used SLRs say: "Not all of hobbyists are committed to digital. Recurrence to film is obviously taking place."

From the manufacturer's viewpoint a Canon executive is quoted saying: "It would not be easy to let 35mm SLR lovers convert to digital. Shift of advanced amateurs from analog to digital is rather slow-going."

Judging from information they get daily from consumers and from the statistics on lens sales, manufacturers probably realize many hobbyists are not quite satisfied with DSLRs and consistently think that only the film renders the colors to their liking, reports Photo Trade Express."

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Sounds Good To Me!

Hoorray for film! Pat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, good news...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And didn't Canon - just a short year ago - cease all production of film cameras?

Hey Canon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    And didn't Canon - just a short year ago - cease all production of film cameras?

Hey Canon
    I think Canon is still making the Rebel and the end EOS, likewise Nikon continues to make the F6 and selling its low camera which I think is make by Cosina,. I hope that if there is demand both could add middle of the line cameras like the N 80 or 90, perhaps manufactured by a third party. I hope demands continues to increase so a range of film camera will be reintroduced.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    So it's taken less then 10 years for film to be the new retro thing?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are we sure this shows a rise in film interest???

Nikon 35mm slr lenses can be used on their D series too.

Canon 35mm slr lenses can be used on their D series too.

Before we break out the champaign we need to do more due dilligence.

Sorry to p*ss on your parade.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe, but correct me if I am wrong, but film lenses are not optimum for digital (color balance is a little different, I believe). If you were a serious digital type I think you would want digital lenses. Therefore, I would think that the increase in film lenses and SLR's means an increase in film interest in Japan, probably amongst serious ametuers. Possibly this will spread to the rest of the West. Film does have advantages (not the least of which is better resolution, especially comparing LF or MF to digital), and people (like us) may have even tried digis and returned to film.

Steve Perry
    Steve Perry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sjperry View Post
    Maybe, but correct me if I am wrong, but film lenses are not optimum for digital (color balance is a little different, I believe). If you were a serious digital type I think you would want digital lenses. Therefore, I would think that the increase in film lenses and SLR's means an increase in film interest in Japan, probably amongst serious ametuers. Possibly this will spread to the rest of the West. Film does have advantages (not the least of which is better resolution, especially comparing LF or MF to digital), and people (like us) may have even tried digis and returned to film.

Steve Perry
    Also, as regards Nikon at least - the lens factor issue (1.5x's) makes most film-oriented zoom lenses unsuitable for their DSLRs because of consequent "effective" focal lengths. This is one reason why Nikon has two separate DiSLR lens lines (a "consumer" and a "pro") as well as the film-based lens lines.

I still think Canon ceased production of film gear - but it could just be that Canon USA stopped importing them a year ago?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Canon ceased DEVELOPMENT of new film-based cameras. They are continuing to make their entire current lineup of film-based cameras. They just won't make an EOS-1 VI or EOS-2 or whatever moniker they would have slapped on the next iteration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin