Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,244   Online: 954

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have a non-Series 1 Vivitar 135/2.8 and a 135/2.5, both made by Tokina
    and both are excellent lenses. The 2.5 is especially nice and it's smaller than
    the 2.8!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two of these 70-210 series I lenses, and now, thanks to the Kiron Kid, I know a bit more about their origins. I have the Kiron-built 3.5 in a slightly corroded (but still very usable) Minolta MD mount, and the Komine-built 2.8-4 in Nikon AIS mount (very minty, I bought that one new many years ago.) I've always thought well of the latter, and bought the former because of it's reputation in rec.photo. I also have a 28-105 which I like and is sharp but has some barrel distortion (which is less of a problem than it used to be.) Very nice glass at bargain-basement prices, even new (compared to the Minolta and Nikon glass back then.) Back in the day, there were two reasons to buy third-party lenses. Cost was one, but it was often not possible to get the zoom range or speed from the manufacturers own lenses. I guess that's still true to some extent, since I was able to buy a Sigma 8mm fish-eye new recently, and while Nikon still lists one, when was the last time you actually saw a new one offered for sale (and who could afford it anyway?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
    I have two of these 70-210 series I lenses, and now, thanks to the Kiron Kid, I know a bit more about their origins. I have the Kiron-built 3.5 in a slightly corroded (but still very usable) Minolta MD mount, and the Komine-built 2.8-4 in Nikon AIS mount (very minty, I bought that one new many years ago.) I've always thought well of the latter, and bought the former because of it's reputation in rec.photo. I also have a 28-105 which I like and is sharp but has some barrel distortion (which is less of a problem than it used to be.) Very nice glass at bargain-basement prices, even new (compared to the Minolta and Nikon glass back then.) Back in the day, there were two reasons to buy third-party lenses. Cost was one, but it was often not possible to get the zoom range or speed from the manufacturers own lenses. I guess that's still true to some extent, since I was able to buy a Sigma 8mm fish-eye new recently, and while Nikon still lists one, when was the last time you actually saw a new one offered for sale (and who could afford it anyway?)
    The Series I lenses in those days were in the same price bracket as the marque lenses from the camera makers they were commissioned by Vivitar (Ponder and Best) to be computed in Silicon Valley, and made by the leading Japanese optical firms to beat them at their own game, and they did, they are great glass that you can get very cheaply these days .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

Vivitar Series 1 lenses

This thread seems to have come back to life. I saw a 450mm f/4.5 Series 1 lens on eBay in the last day or so. I have an odd device for it. It's a Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing teleconverter. This is not the later model which came in various camera mounts. This one is in T mount and comes with a small allen wrench to adjust the orientation of the lens. The combination gives you a 900mm f/9 with pretty close focusing for such a long lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just burned a roll today with my Viv Series 1, 70-210 (#3 Komine edition). Damn, that lens is sharp! And has quality 1:2.5 macro too. :-) In all honesty, the Tokina and Komine versions, stand up to todays modern optics.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    This past week I took delivery of a 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 Kiron in Konica AR mount. It seems to be in good condition. When the rain stops I'll test it out. It seems to be the same lens as the Vivitar 28-85/2.8-3.8 Auto Variable Focusing. Only the cosmetics of the front end are different. I have read that this lens was in the running to be a Series 1 model but the nod went to the 28-90/2.8-3.5. Both are very good lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    This past week I took delivery of a 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 Kiron in Konica AR mount. It seems to be in good condition. When the rain stops I'll test it out. It seems to be the same lens as the Vivitar 28-85/2.8-3.8 Auto Variable Focusing. Only the cosmetics of the front end are different. I have read that this lens was in the running to be a Series 1 model but the nod went to the 28-90/2.8-3.5. Both are very good lenses.
    Dynachrome

The Kiron 28-85 is quite good. However, in that range, I find the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 and Kiron 28-105 to be better. I've used all three of those lenses extensively over the last couple of decades. I still use my two Vivitar S-1 28-90's on a regular basis for professional shooting.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no doubt in my mind that these are professional quality optics, at the time they were made I worked at a big pro dealers selling them, and although more expensive in many cases than the camera manufacturers lenses and much heavier nobody else marketed anything like them, once the word got around the customers bought them in their droves.
    At the moment you can buy these lenses at silly prices that bear no relation to their quality, I have the Series1 Tokina 70-210 f3.5 and am looking for the S1 28-90 2.8-3.5 Varifocal, and a truss for the hernia I'm surely going to get from lugging them about.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-15-2010 at 03:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    i had the vivitar series 1 28-105mm nikon mount.. it was crap!
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by denmark.yuzon View Post
    i had the vivitar series 1 28-105mm nikon mount.. it was crap!
    There's always one.
    Ben

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin