Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,952   Online: 917

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by denmark.yuzon View Post
    i had the vivitar series 1 28-105mm nikon mount.. it was crap!
    The Series 1 28-105 is one of the later (Cosina made) model's, and not known for it's quality. Many of the Cosina nodels are to be avoided.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 28-90 in a few mounts, the older 38-85 in a few mounts and the 28-105 as well. Of these three I think the 28-90 is a good compromise when it comes to optical quality and build quality. It is still generally true that high quality fixed focal length lenses will be better than zooms when it comes to distortion, flare and edge sgarpness. I use the 28-105 mostly on a Canon F-1 with the L D focusing screen. This is the brighter version of the D (grid type) screen. The lens is slow enough that using the right screen is important. A combination screen like the L E (microprism surounding split image) will not work well with such a slow lens unless the light is very bright. I find it a little frustrating that the 28-105 will not allow very close focusing at the short end. That's one of the design features of a lens like this. I would not do flat copy work with the 28-105 and I probably wouldn't do architectural work with it either but for general picture taking and even for portraits it is capable of very decent image quality. Not all 28-105s are in good condition now so that's another factor.

The Vivitar 28-85/2.8-3.8 Auto Variable Focusing is also a very good lens if it is used properly and is in good condition. The annoying aspect of this lens is that, like other varifocals, it needs to be refocused each time it's zoomed. I have yet to test the Kiron version.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually prefer the Kiron 28-105 over the excellent Kiron 28-85.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by denmark.yuzon View Post
    i had the vivitar series 1 28-105mm nikon mount.. it was crap!
    I have one too, and I agree with you. I though it was ok when I first got it. Comparing it against a few Nikkor primes that fell within the focal length range of this lens spoiled me. However, this particular lens is not among the original Series I lenses from Vivitar which are well regraded.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I have one too, and I agree with you. I though it was ok when I first got it. Comparing it against a few Nikkor primes that fell within the focal length range of this lens spoiled me. However, this particular lens is not among the original Series I lenses from Vivitar which are well regraded.
    The Series 1 model is a Cosina made lens. Nothing special. The Vivitar Series 1 28-90 and Kiron 28-105 are much better.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    The Series 1 24-48 (Kiron made) is very nice too.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm getting very confused about telling the various Series 1 lenses apart, and knowing which ones are good and which ones aren't. I guess if I were considering buying one, I would just make a post in this thread and ask Kiron Kid for help!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I'm getting very confused about telling the various Series 1 lenses apart, and knowing which ones are good and which ones aren't. I guess if I were considering buying one, I would just make a post in this thread and ask Kiron Kid for help!

I'm glad to be of help. Ask anytime.

Kiron Kid-MrVivSeries1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I was out shooting yesterday with my series 1 70-210 f3.5 lens and if anyone is thinking about buying one of these from an auction site , or mail order I warn you that although they're killer lenses they're also " Heavy Metal" and not the kind of lens you can hang around you're neck for hours without almost garrotting yourself, I use mine with a wrist strap and carry the camera in my hand, but they are great glass and cheap, I can't believe what a good lens this is for the £40 ($61 US) I paid for it at a local photo store with the original rubber hood and six months warranty.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was out shooting yesterday with my series 1 70-210 f3.5 lens and if anyone is thinking about buying one of these from an auction site , or mail order I warn you that although they're killer lenses they're also " Heavy Metal" and not the kind of lens you can hang around you're neck for hours without almost garrotting yourself, I use mine with a wrist strap and carry the camera in my hand, but they are great glass and cheap, I can't believe what a good lens this is for the £40 ($61 US) I paid for it at a local photo store with the original rubber hood and six months warranty.

I suppose that since I grew up using these heavy metal lenses, I don't even notice their weight. But, in comparison, my more modern lenses are ferathers when compared to the old Vivitars and Kirons.

Kiron Kid

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin