Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,729   Online: 996

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Somewhere I have a Vivitar 24-70 Series 1 in Minolta MD mount. It needs some work or I would have tested already. Has anyone here used that lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    Dynachrome

All of the Series 1 24-70's, were made by Cosina. Sadly, when Cosina began maunufacturing Viv S-1 lenses , the quality usually suffered. No fault of Cosina. They make it to the designers price point, and are very capable of making fine, well made lenses. In this case, it's a decent lens, nothing special, nothing crappy. The Cosina made Viv S-1 200mm f/3.5AF (also made by Komine) lens is very good, and even beats out the legendary Nikon 180mm f/2.8 lens. What kind of work does it need? You may actually be quite pleased with it's performance.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I suppose that since I grew up using these heavy metal lenses, I don't even notice their weight. But, in comparison, my more modern lenses are ferathers when compared to the old Vivitars and Kirons.

Kiron Kid
    I guess I've been spoiled by the fact that most of my lenses for 35mm format are the new type Canon FD ones that have plastic barrels, and are much lighter.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I guess I've been spoiled by the fact that most of my lenses for 35mm format are the new type Canon FD ones that have plastic barrels, and are much lighter.

Yes, but they can't take the abuse, wear and tear of the older models...

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not so; many, many years of use, abuse, accidents, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I sort of got the impression that some of the later products weren't as well made and that the brand got diluted by slapping "Series 1" on point and shoot cameras and other decidedly low-level gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I sort of got the impression that some of the later products weren't as well made and that the brand got diluted by slapping "Series 1" on point and shoot cameras and other decidedly low-level gear.

Sadly, there is some truth to that statement.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    Yes, but they can't take the abuse, wear and tear of the older models...

Kiron Kid
    I'm not sure about that, to say the barrels are plastic is an over simplification they are a specially developed plastic that Canon said at the time they were convinced was a better material and about half the weight of the metal barrels and it enabled them to embed the lens elements in the molten plastic to make them less subject to shock damage, and Teflon coat the focusing helicoids to make them very smooth. Most of my lenses with the exception of two are the new type, and after around twenty years regular use are still as good as the day I bought them, I know that what you say is the accepted wisdom but it's not borne out by my experience, or anyone I know who uses them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plastic is just a single term which can be used to describe a variety of materials which have a variety of properties - some of which are suited to mass production of precision pieces and some are not.

It's a bit like saying that a hammer is only any good if it's made out of metal - but which metal? Steel, lead, copper, mercury?

I agree with Benjiboy's comment from Canon that there are some engineering plastics that can be a better choice for some precision parts than machined metal.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm

Vivitar Series 1 lens opinions

Kiron Kid, you state that

"The Cosina made Viv S-1 200mm f/3.5AF (also made by Komine) lens is very good, and even beats out the legendary Nikon 180mm f/2.8 lens"

I just looked at my 200/3 Vivitar Series 1 in Konica AR mount. It has the Komine 28XXX... serial number. What I've read is that the 200/3.5 AF has the same optical design as the 200/3 but has a beam splitter built in and that this reduces the amount of light striking the film. Did Komine supply the lens elements to Cosina for this lens?

I find the close focusing of the 200/3 very handy in situations where I can't get any closer to the subject.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin