Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,358   Online: 776

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Images

Vivitar series 1 lens opinions

I am hanging my nose over a very cheap Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 lens (less than £30). Its serial number suggest that it was manufactured by Komine. Have any of you out there used such a lens? Opinions please.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think in general that the Series 1 lenses were the best that Vivitar made. I had a Series 1 macro lens once (either 90 or 105 mm, can't remember) which was excellent.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was considered a fine lens in its day ( late 70's ). Not sure how it will compare to more modern designs, but for that amount of money, its a good deal

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had that exact lens about 1982 for my Nikon's. It was a brilliant lens, slightly heavy and the winding back and forth required a fair bit of screwing, it certainly will not go from infinity to close focus in 1/2 a twist.

I think it used a 72mm filter thread.

Somewhere, I have the original little booklet that came with it.

Very nice lens and made quite a lot of good pictures for me it when I had it.

The Vivitar Series 1 lenses and Sigma Series II were for me, the only aftermarket lenses I considered reasonably close quality wise compared to Nikkor. Especially when you consider they were under 1/2 the price of Nikkor lenses but weren't 1/2 the quality.

I still run three Sigma lenses, 18 3.5, 24 2.8, 600 8 (mirror)

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    I am hanging my nose over a very cheap Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 lens (less than £30). Its serial number suggest that it was manufactured by Komine. Have any of you out there used such a lens? Opinions please.
    Get it. It's gorgeous, as are all first-series Series 1 primes. At that price I'd seriously consider buying it as a spare. The 200/3 is even nicer. Both focus incredibly close. I also have the 90/2.5 and 600/8, and used to have the 28/1.9 (a friend REALLY wanted it) and 800/11 (too slow, and too close to the 600/8). Actually the 35-85/2.8 Varifocal is astonishingly good too, though the 90-180/4.5 close-focus shows its age compared with primes and more modern designs (I have both those too...)

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Kiron made Series 1 75-210 for my OM kit and it is really nice lens. I plan to get some for my Nikon and Minolta MCx kits.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I have a Kiron made Series 1 75-210 for my OM kit and it is really nice lens. I plan to get some for my Nikon and Minolta MCx kits.
    I also have a Kiron made Series 1 for my OM, the 28-90 -- fantastic lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I also have the [...] 600/8, and used to have the [...] 800/11 (too slow, and too close to the 600/8).

Cheers,

Roger
    Were/are these the solid cats? I've always heard good things about these. They also had a fast mirror lens, like 450mm/f:4.5 if I remember, and I think it used plastic in some then-innovative way. Did you ever try that one?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by geauxpez View Post
    I also have a Kiron made Series 1 for my OM, the 28-90 -- fantastic lens.
    I have a 76 to 210 for sale if anyone is interested.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Were/are these the solid cats? I've always heard good things about these. They also had a fast mirror lens, like 450mm/f:4.5 if I remember, and I think it used plastic in some then-innovative way. Did you ever try that one?
    Dear David,

Yes, they're solid cats. I used to have a 680/6.8 prototype too but gave it to a friend. He died and I believe another friend inherited it. The 450/4.5 was probably not available commercially (there are different views about this) and did I believe use plasric, but the 600/8 and 800/11 solid cats used glass, not plastic, for the light path.

Cheers,

roger

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin