Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,799   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    f2.8 is a fairly slow lens by todays standards. A 35mm lens is pretty much a normal lens. Many people use it instead of the 50mm. When you compare it to the 50mm which is f1.4 that is two stops.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derekh View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an older Non-AI Nikkor Kogaku 35mm f2.8 "S" lens. The price is right, but I'm not sure about the quality. Has anyone used this lens? How good is it in terms of contrast, sharpness, chromatic aberration etc? Are these lenses multicoated or not? I am wondering how it would compare to the more modern Nikkor lenses.
    I am confused.

If the lens is a Nikkor "S" mount then it is for a Nikon RF camera. So all of the references to AI etc. are confusing.

The Nikkor 35mm/2.8 in "S" mount was the "best" 35mm lens for the Nikon RF's. There was also a f3.5 which was an earlier and less valued model.

Now you can get into real minutae trying to figure out lens serial numbers to determine which "run" the lens came from - but if you are a shooter like me - if the glass is clean and blades "fungus free" then you should be okay.

I always put UV (prophylactic) filters on my lenses and the Nikkor 35mm "S" lens will require a 43mm filter.

Now, should you actually be looking for a F-mount lens (i.e. for one that will fit a Nikon SLR) then I refer you back to the above posts.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    If the lens is a Nikkor "S" mount then it is for a Nikon RF camera. So all of the references to AI etc. are confusing.
    I think the "S" in this case is the early designations for elements ( 7 elements).

I have not used this lens but according to Bjørn Rørslett's comprehensive evaluations this lens is only average at best.

Quoted from his web site "Once again, this is a lens that has been simplified in its optical formula throughout the years. The earliest version had 7 elements ("S" designation), big front and small rear elements, while the later models got 5 elements, a small front element and an enlarged rear element. The tendency to vignetting wide open declined by these optical changes, but so did the image quality. Prime, slow 35 mm lenses are not in the vogue today and this middle-of-the-road performer is not the one to reverse that trend."

....a

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I love my non-ai 50mm 1.4.It's my favorite lens wide open except maybe the non-ai 105mm. The 24mm is also very good. I have the 35mm but have rarely used it since I carry both the 24 and 50 most of the time and find the 35 unnecessary. Fine lenses for a great price.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 35mm f2.8 provides good sharpness and contrast, about on par with the 35 f2. As elsewhere noted look for the "C" (coated) to appear after the lens name, i.e., S-C. Early lenses are more theoretically prone to flair, but in practice they often show no difference.

The 35mm f2.8 is an ancient and honorable Nikkor lens. You'll like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

The Nikkor 35mm/2.8 in "S" mount was the "best" 35mm lens for the Nikon RF's. There was also a f3.5 which was an earlier and less valued model.
    Actually, the lens you refer to is the 3.5cm f/2.5 in Nikon RF mount. It is a wicked lens, better IMO than the Contax RF mount 35mm f/2.8 Biogon (postwar) that I had. Its fits the postwar Contax cameras as well and is a great alternative to the collector-driven 2-3x more expensive postwar Biogon.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've borrowed a friends 50mm non-Ai lens I thought it was quite a good lens. It made me wonder if all the "improvements" to lenses throughout the years were worth the added costs.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin