Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,561   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Minolta srT201 light meter

So I happened upon a nice looking srt-201 and couldn't pass up the $30 price tag. Seems to be in good working condition everything works and the light meter even agrees well with several others that I trust.

I have some questions for those who've more experience with this model....

1) With regard to the light meter on/off/bc switch, do you just leave it on all the time or turn it on, make a few general readings and then turn it off? I'm used to the light meter being a lot easier to turn on/off (as on the late model pentax and nikon models for example).

2) this one came with the proper mercury battery installed(!). How long can I expect this to last? More importantly, does anybody know if this meter circuit will read correctly with a silver-oxide replacement? or, will that require the meter to be re-calibrated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only turn the meter on with my SRT's when I'm shooting. I use my left thumb to turn the meter on & off.

I generally have them converted for 1.5, but there are adaptors available.

Craig

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    More importantly, does anybody know if this meter circuit will read correctly with a silver-oxide replacement? or, will that require the meter to be re-calibrated?
    Hello Brad,
    congratulations. The meter of the SR-T series is sensitive to the battery voltage, but can be easily calibrated for the silver cells.
    Alternatives are the usual replacements for mercury cells.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love everything about the SRTs except the battery switch! I turn them off unless I'm metering. I have a few mercury batteries still "in stock". Once those are used up or dead from "shelf life", I'll either get an adapter or use the cameras "meterless". Whatta ya gonna do ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should always turn the meter off. The light leaking into the eyepiece will cause the meter to draw current and run the battery down, as well as there being a very slight leak even in total darkness with most CdS cells.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an srt 200 and have one battery left . I remember reading somewhere about putting some kind of diode in for use with current batteries , but can't remember where I saw it . is this the best way to convert.

All this info was before I got the cam. or is there some general rule of it just being off one or two stop in one direction or another.

tom

What's this adapter you mention?

Shooter
    Large Format
    So I spent the morning with the camera and have almost gotten the hang of turning the switch on with the left thumb. Once or twice, I think I even remembered to turn the thing off....(arrrgh!).

I'm pretty sure the battery will be dead by the end of the year and then, the whole battery switch placement issue will be moot. May have to look into that converter gizmo though...Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    You may want to check this out:
    http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Dickspages.htm
    I've successfully carried out the mod on several SRT's and it works a treat.It is also much cheaper than buying a battery converter.
    You do need to be reasonably competent with a soldering iron.
    Regards
    Rod Downes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Don't be so keen with the switch

I run an srt101. I just turn the meter switch off when I get home and put the camera bag back in its proper spot at the end of the day. I also use that time to pick out any films for processing and generally clean the bag out of lolly wrappers, film boxes etc to get it read for the next time out.

Otherwise, while shooting for the day the meter switch stays on. Draw is low with the lens cap on, and it is even lower when it is in the bag.

There are instructions out there if you are not afraid to take the bottom off the camera and tweak a trimmer potentiomenter, to make it woirk with silver oxide cells. You use a second camera, grey card, and tungsten light source to confirm the correct exposure wrt shutter spped, aperture, and asa, then set the srt under surgery to match it, and then turn the pot until the meter needle matches the pointer circle.

I still have one mercury cell in the freezer awaiting its time to be put into service.

The existing mercury cell has been in the camera for at least 5 years, and is still going strong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly, by only having the meter on while it was being used I would typically get one year out of a battery. However, I did have some batteries that lasted three to five years.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin