Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,616   Online: 761

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I'm very seriously considering purchasing one -- I've got an F5, and while I love it, the F6 has some great features.
    I jumped from the F4 to the F6, and I really like the F6. Part of the reason is that it is smaller and lighter than either the F4 or F5, and that makes it nicer for travel. So far I have not missed the interchangable viewfinders, and F6's AF is miles ahead of the F4.
    I don't notice much difference between the metering of the two, but if I had to give one the edge I think the F4's matrix meter does a better job on chromes than the F6's.

It's a very nice camera, I do like it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I jumped from the F4 to the F6, and I really like the F6. Part of the reason is that it is smaller and lighter than either the F4 or F5, and that makes it nicer for travel. So far I have not missed the interchangable viewfinders, and F6's AF is miles ahead of the F4.
    I don't notice much difference between the metering of the two, but if I had to give one the edge I think the F4's matrix meter does a better job on chromes than the F6's.

It's a very nice camera, I do like it.
    My biggest concern with the camera, without the external battery holder, is that it is just too small. I'll only buy the camera if the external battery holder is available at the same time.

I find the size and weight of the F5 is perfect for shooting, and from what I have seen the F6 is a smaller camera - about the same size as the D200. This is why I am hesitant. Of course, I would remove the battery holder while traveling (one of the big pluses for the camera) - to keep the weight down.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    My biggest concern with the camera, without the external battery holder, is that it is just too small. I'll only buy the camera if the external battery holder is available at the same time.

I find the size and weight of the F5 is perfect for shooting, and from what I have seen the F6 is a smaller camera - about the same size as the D200. This is why I am hesitant. Of course, I would remove the battery holder while traveling (one of the big pluses for the camera) - to keep the weight down.
    Robert,

I agree with you that it would be wise to buy the external battery holder with the F6. How much longer the F6 will remain in production is questionable at best and finding accessories after it is discontinued is going to be hard.

BTW, I think the external battery pack is a smart return by Nikon to how the F-100 is configured. When you mount the external pack on the F-100 it is just about the same size (and heft) of the F5. But w/o the pack it becomes much less of an albatross for hanging around your neck.

Even though the F5 has more features and conveniences that the F-100; when travelling (as I did last weekend to a wedding in Memphis) I prefer the F-100 because I can remove the battery pack and "carry light".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Even though the F5 has more features and conveniences that the F-100; when travelling (as I did last weekend to a wedding in Memphis) I prefer the F-100 because I can remove the battery pack and "carry light".
    I would probably store the battery pack in my checked luggage when traveling, then mount it once I get to my final location. I can't see not using it, unless absolutely necessary.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I have yet to get the battery pack and am looking forward to rechargeable batteries. BUT. Mainly I shoot walkabout/street/travel photography and I have to say that the lowered weight, combined with perfect ergonomics, rises to the top of what I appreciate most about this camera. Not the lightest SLR ever, but the lightest of the best. Just throw on a medium fixed focal length and forgetaboutit.

That said, there is something satisfying about having the battery pack completely integrated into the system. Had this been the case with the F6, I still would not have hesitated in making it mine.
    What would Dziga Vertov do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin