Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,862   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Use lens hoods to "protect" your lenses. Use filters like the L37, UV, etc. only when you're shooting near sea water, blowing sand, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    Use lens hoods to "protect" your lenses. Use filters like the L37, UV, etc. only when you're shooting near sea water, blowing sand, etc.
    ...kids, rain, snow, dust in the hot season, rivers with spray/rowers (if you're close)...

Lots of etcs!

Cheers,

r.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ...kids, rain, snow, dust in the hot season, rivers with spray/rowers (if you're close)...

Lots of etcs!

Cheers,

r.
    windy days, city pollution ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    Yes, a lens hood will likely protect against the smash/crash incident. It will not protect against other possible damage.

Quite frankly, as to ordinary risks, "cleaning marks" are the worst. Go to eBay and look particularly at MF lens listings (MF photogs apparently do not like UV filters - probably since many of them are studio portrait shooters). Almost invariably those listings note that there are "light" (it's always "light") cleaning marks on the lens.

Folks, that means the coating has been worn down - with the worst wear in the center of the glass as almost everyone cleans in a circular motion.

Imagine. You notice that you have a dusty lens. You squirt your cleaner and then pull out your "micro magic" cleaning cloth. And you grind and grind the dust as you "clean" the lens with a circular motion.

Oh, I know, now that I mention this basic "habit" you're all saying "Hey, I don't do it that way!"

B.S.

How else does one clean circular (bulbous) glass?

Clean the filter - not the lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I use filters on my cameras to cut the molecular scattering of UV and blue light; to keep dust , grease and finger prints off the lens surface; and as cheap insurance.

Have I ever dented a filter ring? yes.

Have I ever dented the front ring of a lens? no because I have a filter on the lens.

Do I thing filters are good ideas as asked in the OP - yes.

Do I care what others think about my using filters? In a word - NO I have over 50 years experience on my side.

By the way, I typically shoot ever 50 rolls of 135 a year plus many rolls of 120 [I do not have a count]. There are someothers here that shoot ten times that amount. I suggest you ask the=m.

Steve
    Yes, I too am guilty of using lens hoods for light scattering and protection.
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin