Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1034

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon F1 jaming film

I recently picked up a Canon new F1 of E bay and it has a film transport problem. About every other roll of film I can go to about frame 4 and then everything jams up. When I open the back, the film has been folded with a nice sharp crease and stuffed between the take up spool and the sproket roller.

This happened twice today, even though I first put the film on the take up spool, and advanced the fim to make sure it was tight and then pulled the film across to make sure it stayed tight.

Is this a common problem with New F1's? I also have an original F1 and it has never had a problem, even though take up mechanisms look very similar. If it makes any difference I do not have a motor drive on this camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The takeup spool isn't turning. I have a camera (not a Canon) that is doing the same thing.

I assume it's something that I might be able to correct from below, but I haven't tackled it just yet.

The sprocket spool is still pushing the film but because the takeup spool isn't moving, the film is simply getting jammed into whatever space it can find.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's definitely not normal. I've had a New F-1 for close to 25 years now, and have never experienced that.

Mike Elek's explanation sounds likely. The camera probably needs service.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, that makes sense. The frustrating thing is that it doesn't always do it, sometime the the film goes through beautifully. I'll look into the CLA options.

Any reccomendations for a good repair shop in Canada?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to try Phototech Camera Repair Services off of Edmonton Trail at 38 Ave NE in Calgary. They advertise as an authorized Canon service facility -both analog and digital. I used them a couple of years ago to replace the mount on a Canon zoom lens and they did a good job. They are in the yellow pages.
    Regards
    Gord

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin