Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,182   Online: 886

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recently carried my CV R2S to a wedding in Memphis. I brought along both my Nikkor 3.5cm and CV 85mm lenses. I probably would have been happier to only have brought the 5.0cm/1.4 with me. Sometimes I think I get "down" on 50mm because it seems so "common". But there are times when it really does make sense to just use a "normal" lens!

Shooter
    35mm
    The 50mm was the lense of choice of many photojournalists in the 1960s and 70s before the advent of high quality zooms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 50mm f/1.8 AI Nikkor for over 90% of the work I do. It just seems right to me. If I find myself in slightly more cramped quarters, then the 35mm f/2 lens sees a bit more use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did use my canon 50 f/1.8 nearly all the time, but I've just invested in a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, which I bought with the intention of being a higher quality replacement for the 50. It is, however, HUGE, so I dont think ill be getting rid of the 50 any time soon, due to its portability

Shooter
    35mm
    If I had to work with just one lens then I would opt for a 50mm, it's what I started with and have always found it to be a great "utility" lens.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    I've been using my 50mm lens on the EOS 3 more and more lately for street photography, and I'm just wondering does anyone here feel the same way as me as it's the perfect lens for walk-around shots. I don't know what it is about the 50mm focal lenght but it definitely works for me and photos (especially portraits) done using it have the right mix of the subject and environment.
    I feel exactly the same way... but about a 35mm lens, not a 50!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    I too prefer the 50. Since it is fairly close to the angle of view of the eye it makes a great lens. I generaly take pictures of what catches my eye and the 50 makes it look pretty darn close. Then after that I may revisit said photo opp and then use a wider or narrower lens. I have 3 nikons and a newer pentax and I have a 50 to go on all of them. I have found some use for the 35 2.8 more recently but the 50 is always on whatever camera I am packing around.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm also feeling more comfortable with the 50 mm. I have tried shorter lenses (35 and 28 mm) but it implies to go too close to the subject and then I feel like I am invading the subject space. On the other way round, a longer lens doesn't allow me to get the details I'm looking for. I have used the 50 mm on almost 100% of my pictures, although recently I have used a Lensbaby, that has a focal lenght of 50 mm (more or less, as it get smaller when focusing to infinity).

Right now, I have "built" a system around the 50 mm: a 35 mm for indoors or very tight places and a 85 mm for close up portraits.

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post
    I too prefer the 50. Since it is fairly close to the angle of view of the eye it makes a great lens.
    Disputable. What do you actually mean by this? Too much depends on the size of the print and the viewing distance.

Perspective looks most natural when the objects in the image subtend the same angle as they did in the original scene, but there's quite a wide range before things start to look too wrong.

This is why I prefer to straddle the 50mm, with a 35mm on one body and a 75mm on the other: the 35mm is more the way I see when I see something in context, and the 75mm is more the way I see details in isolation.

Wider or longer lenses (than 35 and 75) require a different way of seeing, but even at that, every now and then I go on a 21mm jag (or 38mm on my Alpa, which is near enough the identical angle of view) or a 135mm jag or even a 200mm jag (especially in the mountains where I want details).

I wondered how long it would be before the 'angle of view of the eye' thing came up...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Curran View Post
    The 50mm was the lense of choice of many photojournalists in the 1960s and 70s before the advent of high quality zooms.
    Dear John,

In the 40s and 50s maybe, but the 35 was pretty popular by the 60s and 70s -- once there were high-quality, fast lenses such as the 35/1.4 Summilux (c. 1957). The big advantage of the 50 could be summed up in one word: SPEED.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin