Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,959   Online: 879

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Thoughts on the 50mm focal lenght

I've been using my 50mm lens on the EOS 3 more and more lately for street photography, and I'm just wondering does anyone here feel the same way as me as it's the perfect lens for walk-around shots. I don't know what it is about the 50mm focal lenght but it definitely works for me and photos (especially portraits) done using it have the right mix of the subject and environment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AFD with my Nikon F4 and F5. I really love the focal length and it's ability to take sharp pictures in low light environments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I rarely use anything else. On SLR -- SMC Takumar 50mm f1.7 -- or on rangefinder -- Jupiter-8, Industar 61L/D, Xenon f2.8, etc -- I find the 50 is the perfect length for me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Is anything really 'perfect'?

Glad this focal length works for you. My mileage may differ. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Seems to be a complex interaction on subject, preference, print size and lens quality. My 'standard' lens for years has been a 35/1.4, with a 75/2 on the other body; my wife now uses 50mm as a 'standard', usually with 90 on the other body. But the new 50/1.5 Sonnar may incline me more towards 50mm too. It's gorgeous for colour though I've not shot much mono with it yet (and I haven't processed her mono either -- I'm doing 10 rolls today and 10 more tomorrow).

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    <i>Seems to be a complex interaction on subject, preference, print size and lens quality.</i>

Yes, purely personally, I struggle to produce interesting compositions with anything much wider than 40-50mm so I don't really favour wider lenses and longer lenses, while I very much like the results, I tend not to use enough to justify carrying them around. So I pretty much always default to the 50.

I suspect if I started carrying two bodies more regularly, I'd alternate between a 50 and 85 or 50 and 90.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Walk around 50mm

I've been doing "walk around" shots for a couple of years of Greek street markets. I've tried 28, 35, 45 (on Contax G2), and 50, but 50mm remains my favorite. In fact, my best shots were with the Leica M7 and collapsible 50mm f2.8. Elmar. Part of the preference is in one's head -- the way you see an image shaping up and where to position oneself, comfortably, to get it. The wider lenses tend to result in either too much cropping, or moving in so close that it disrupts the photographer/subject relationship.
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

Shooter
    35mm
    A 50mm lens gives me a good working distance, too.
    Last edited by firecracker; 04-01-2008 at 05:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For me the 50 is best for people shots. I find wider angles better for in city walk-about landscapes. In more open territory with mountains etc I find I actually prefer wider angles under 35mm.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is my favourite focal length because of the speed and versatility of my 50mm AF-D. However, it's not without its shortcomings.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin