Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 887

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahhh, I just realized that it's a shame to say "do not believe products made in Japan" :rolleyes:
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko View Post
    Ahhh, I just realized that it's a shame to say "do not believe products made in Japan" :rolleyes:
    There was a period of time that Japanese products sucked, known as cheap and poor quality. But anyway, I find your lenghty observation/opinion interesting and I tend to agree with you. It seems that the brand name sells far more than the actual quality of the products...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had distagon 35/2 Zf. After several months of infrequent use I sold it. It is not worth the money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the chance to try out the 25mm f2.8 dome time ago. I must say though I am very impressed Im not sure I can justify paying that amount of money. Should I win big time in lotto or something like that things may look different
    Kind regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko View Post
    Thank you for your feedback and comments on Cosina. It is a very interesting point you bring up regarding the perception by others of products made in Japan. My experiences and perceptions have been that if it is made in Japan, then it must be good. I think the same holds true for many camera enthusiasts as well.

For many years I purchased Nikon products without any hesitation because I knew I was buying a well built product capable of delivering outstanding optical performance under severe conditions. When Nikon announced that it was opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand, I was somewhat sceptical that the product (I believe it was an autofocus lens, the 35-80) would be made as good as the rest of their products. I purchased the lens anyway because it was what I needed at the time. Yes it was sharp, no it was not well built.

Nikon has since manufactured equipment outside of Japan under "their strictist quality control standards". An interesting point though is that their more expensive items (and those coveted by collectors) are still being made in Japan. Same holds true with cars. Here in the U.S., automobiles made in Japan hold their resale value much better than American made cars. I must admit I was somewhat dissapointed when Toyota and Honda decided to establish production plants here in the U.S. I hope that the cars produced under the Honda and Toyota name here in the U.S. are as well built as the ones that were built in Japan (I have owned Hondas for years and also recently purchased a new Toyota minivan).

As far as Cosina goes, all I know is that their products are lower priced. I have never owned anything made by Cosina, so I don't really now. There have been successful partnerships in the past (like Leica/Minolta for thier "R" series, and Panasonic/Leica for their Lumix series, Zeiss/Sony for their video camera market, etc.). Maybe Zeiss/Cosina might be a good combination? Nikon trusted Cosina, so did Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks to me I will get a standard Nikkor lens while they are still available in B&H.
    www.Leica-R.com

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    ... I must admit I was somewhat dissapointed when Toyota and Honda decided to establish production plants here in the U.S. ...
    Hi. It's July 4th. In that spirit, I just wanted to say, I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounds. We need those jobs in our country. And I have a very reliable six-year-old Toyota minivan that was built in North America. What has happened to the American auto industry is sad, but do we blame the workers, or the managements that put short-term profits over quality years ago? (Just my two cents, of course.)

I too was intrigued by the Zeiss lenses for Nikon, so I'm glad you asked this question.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    looks to me I will get a standard Nikkor lens while they are still available in B&H.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Manual focus or Autofocus? I noticed that they have the manual focus 50mm1.2 in stock. Very tempting!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a Japanese word "PIN-KIRI". PIN means the best of best, KIRI is on the opposite. Every genre of products has variety of grades, from PIN to KIRI. We say like "It's PIN-KIRI" or "Even Nikon products is PIN-KIRI too". PIN prime lens and KIRI consumer zoom lens for example.
    It doesn't mean that one should avoid KIRI products all the time. KIRI just should be priced as KIRI. If it's worth the price, it's just fine.

And yes, Japanese maker tend to manufacture PIN products in Japan and KIRI outside. A part of the reason is quality control is easier in Japan, and expensive PIN products are profitable enough to justify the cost. We need jobs in Japan too.

Japanese products and Japanese manufactures are also PIN-KIRI. Nikon is well respected PIN brand. Cosina....I don't think so. Even though Nikon FM10 is being made by Cosina, FM10 is KIRI and F6 is PIN in the Nikon camera line-up.
    I wouldn't say that Cosina is really KIRI by all mean, but somewhere around middle. The Cosina/Zeiss doesn't seem to be PIN/PIN combo for me.
    Since the Nikon prime lens is surely a PIN products, I just can't justify why Cosina/Zeiss can be more pricy than Nikon.:rolleyes:
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Hi. It's July 4th. In that spirit, I just wanted to say, I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounds. We need those jobs in our country. And I have a very reliable six-year-old Toyota minivan that was built in North America. What has happened to the American auto industry is sad, but do we blame the workers, or the managements that put short-term profits over quality years ago? (Just my two cents, of course.)

I too was intrigued by the Zeiss lenses for Nikon, so I'm glad you asked this question.

-Laura

I apologize, it didn't come out right! I believe that we have some of the best workers and some of the most brilliant minds in the world here in the U.S. For a nation so young it has proven to be a world leader by far. I am also saddened that many jobs have been outsourced to foreign countries, especially in the customer service industry. Big name companies like GE and others have reduced the national workforce by eliminating local jobs and outsourcing them to foreign countries.

As you pointed out, who is to blame? Companies ultimately need to do whatever it takes to stay in business. Companies that continue to make an excellent product, like Nikon, have to outsource their production sometimes in order to continue to provide excellent products to their companies. I would love to see a camera produced by Nikon today equivalant to their old Nikon F which was hand made on a production line by real people. Of course such a camera today would probably cost a small fortune.

The automobile industry in the U.S. has had a less than favorable reputation in terms of reliability and resale value since the early 1970's. Be it management or workers, the fact remains that American automobiles do not mantain their value when used and many suffer from mechanical problems. In other industries it is the exact oposite. Harley Davidson motorcycles command high prices even when used. Same thing with old American furniture. If the U.S. produced a camera I am sure that it would command a high price and have great resale value as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin