Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,141   Online: 967

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chromatic Aberration ?
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    I had several issues with distaogn 35/2 (on Nikon F6)

1. Size and weight (almost as big as F6 body)
    2. Flare (?the shiny aluminum filter thread produced flare, even though I used a hood)
    3. CAs. Wide opened the lens was useless. Stopped down it was much better, but CAs did't go away completely. When I took pictures of large single color but at the same time not completely homogeneous brightly lit surfaces, like snow or concrete the pictures had magenta patches. Initially I couldn't figure out where that discoloration came from, but when I looked at the scanned images at 100% (4800dpi) I realised that they were formed by multiple tiny CAs at the high contrast interfaces (like crystals of ice or grains of concrete).

5. Distortions. For $800 the lens distortions should be better corrected.

A combination of abovementioned issues made me sell the lens.

In terms of resolution the lens is fine, but it had too many other issues that I didn't want to live with.

Thank you for your feedback! It turns out that someone posted a user observation on www.fredmiranda.com in the Nikon forum. The person posted pictures as well. It turns out that he seemed to have a bit of an issue at first focusing the lens with an AF camera. The images seemed sharp but it was difficult to tell because of the resizing of the images to have them posted on the web. I guess this would not be an issue if shooting with a split prism focusing screen on any camera like the one in the F3HP.

I am now starting to look at other options. I have been shooting with a Nikon manual focus 35mm f2.0 AIS and I love the results. I was somehow hoping that the images would be even sharper with a Zeiss 35mm ZF. The Nikon version is IMO an excellent lens for the money. Its CRC system also helps improve the image quality as well. It's not that I am unhappy with the Nikon, it's just that I thought I would be even happier with the Zeiss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    chromatic aberrations

Shooter
    35mm
    Zeiss must be having some success with this range of lenses because it appears they are about to be launched or just have been launched in the Pentax manual focus KA bayonet mount. They are already available in 42mm screw thread.

The adverts for the Nikon mount range which appear frequently in the UK publication Amateur Photographer, emphasise the fact they have metal barrells and are developed from Zeiss's range of movie lenses, which from what I have read are very successful. So are these Nikon mount lenses actually made by Cosina? Even if they are, does that matter, because from the many reviews I have read in the UK photographic press the Voigtlander rangefinder cameras made by Cosina are made to a much higher quality control level than Cosina own brand items? And Cosina's range of Voigtlander screw & M mount lenses frequently get superlative reviews. So personally if I had the money to buy one of these Zeiss lenses, the fact that it was made by Cosina wouldn't put me off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no concerns about the quality of my ZF 35mm. The only indication of penny pinching is ... the 3 screws holding the mount to the main body ( but other independants have also been doing this for a number of years).
    Note: If you use a UV / protection filter - no shiny chrome is then present on the internal screw threads.

As I have mentioned before, a bit too expensive new, but mint second hand - great (I don't do any colour neg scanning so don't have CA problems).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kram
    ... The only indication of penny pinching is ... the 3 screws holding the mount to the main body ( but other independants have also been doing this for a number of years).

Can you be more elaborate (what is a problem,...)
    -------------
    Note: If you use a UV / protection filter - no shiny chrome is then present on the internal screw threads.

Some Leica filters are buried into chromed rings, so it is not a problem.

www.Leica-R.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin