Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Canon's 70-150, which emulates (and supposedly just beats) the impressive optics of the Nikon 70-150, is quite cheap.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 135/2.8 was my first lens. Very cheap, very useful. (In fact I got one for my Nikons a few weeks ago and finally put some film behind it a couple of weeks ago - and the shots are beautiful.) The 135/2.5 Canon equivalent would be a fine substitute.

If Canon has a 100/105 mm lens that's also great. Nikon's 105/2.5 is a beautiful lens. Some above have mentioned the 100/2.8 and it would be just fine.

I'd stay away from the zooms for now. They are more flexible but harder to learn with, in my opinion. If your son can learn to use a 50 and 100/135 effectively, he'll be a much better user of a zoom later.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm

Long lens recommendation

135mm, by all means. It is a classic, and should be part of a yound photographer's education. A bit long for just head shots, it can still be used with a little finesse, and it's a great street and landscape lens.

Landscape lens? Absolutely. It's a fine way to control what's in the frame, and teaches focus control and perspective.

Pentax Spotmatic, Takumar 135mm, Verona, Italy 1970
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Self-PortraitVerona1970smallweb.jpg  
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko View Post
    As David said, NFD 135/2 is quite a good lens. But I think it's little bit heavy for a kid.
    In my limited experience, old FD 135/2.5 S.C. was not that bad and reasonably priced.
    As the new type FD lenses were generally lighter constructed the FDn 135/2 is only 5% heavier than the FD 135/2.5.
    (got the weights from the net)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, I must have got weaken. 135/2.5 was not that much heavy when I was younger and I feel 135/2 quite heavy now:o
    I listed 135/2.5 right after 135/2 because of its price. Could you please quote like this ?
    And it could cost you more than A-1 and 50mm kit.
    In my limited experience, old FD 135/2.5 S.C. was not that bad and reasonably priced.
    Thank you for pointing out. I've been thinking weight difference was much more in my mind anyway. Now I'm corrected
    kunihiko kario

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have got the old one myself and find it quite a weight. Looking at photos of the new one (2.0) I thought oooh. And was surpriced about the weights too. But as indicated before Canon exchanged a lot of brass against plastic, amoungst other measures.

Especially for `longer´ lenses the right kind of friction is important, I guess I would put this above weight.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-04-2007 at 04:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: insertion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cant recomend the`100mm high enough I had a 1.8 till my cam bag was stolen in he early 90s, I loved that lens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin