Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,158   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Telephoto Lens Recommendations Needed

My son is starting a nine month long photography class in August. They require manual focus 35 mm cameras and we bought him a Canon A1 with a "standard" 50mm lens. They also strongly suggest that the students have a Telephoto lens. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Something like the Tamron SP 90/2.5 or 90/2.8 is a nice short tele for portraits and macros.

The Canon FD 200/2.8 internal focusing lens is a nice moderate tele. I used to have one and liked to carry it sometimes with the Canon extenders 1.4X-A and 2x-B when I wanted to travel light and have the option of going longer, even though I also had a 300/4L and 400/4.5 SSC, which are also fine lenses, if you are looking for a longer tele. There are many excellent values right now among Canon FD lenses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Get the Canon EF 135mm 2.8 soft-focus lens; it's slightly slower than the venerable Canon 135mm F2 L lens but costs 1/3 of the price. Or if he wants a telephoto zoom lens, get the Canon 70-200 F4 IS lens; great for outdoors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    Get the Canon EF 135mm 2.8 soft-focus lens; it's slightly slower than the venerable Canon 135mm F2 L lens but costs 1/3 of the price. Or if he wants a telephoto zoom lens, get the Canon 70-200 F4 IS lens; great for outdoors.
    that lens won't work on an A1 as the A1 is an FD mount camera, not EF

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In fact all the lenses that film_guy listed are EF (EOS) mount lenses that won't work on an FD mount camera. On the other hand the FD 135/2.0 is an outstanding lens, and so is the FD 80-200/4.0L, but for learning purposes, it's probably better to use single focal length lenses. Zooms are useful for specific tasks, like event photography where you want to be able to shoot quickly and can't always be standing where you want to use the full 35mm frame, but they can make beginning photographers lazy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what focal length is required. 135mm ? 200mm ? or more ?
    As David said, NFD 135/2 is quite a good lens. But I think it's little bit heavy for a kid. If your son was a little kid, I mean. And it could cost you more than A-1 and 50mm kit.
    In my limited experience, old FD 135/2.5 S.C. was not that bad and reasonably priced.
    If the standard lens you've got was so called New FD lens, same style of mounting system would be better. Then you may consider NFD135/2.8 or NFD100/2 for little shorter. You can't go wrong with any FD lenses of those generation anyway. They are all good or at least decent.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, I misread your question; I thought you asked about the A2 for your son, instead of the A1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically, Canon does not make a crook short tele lens, and I presume that they require him to use a short ( or portrait) lens. It really depends on the budget of course but a 100mm lens is a great first choice in this bracket. Canon has a quite inexpensive but really good, 100 F2.8 and if you are well healed there is the 100mm F2 which is truly superb. In the 135's you can get the older 135 F2.5 or the 135mm F2 as mentioned above. The F2 is a very big and heavy optic, not to mention expensive, but is one of Canon's finest lenses.
    I think if I were setting up a young person I would opt for the 100mm F2.8 as it quite inexpensive and not much larger than the 50mm.
    Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    I recommend Tamron's 70-210 Adaptall lens. I recently picked one up off eBay with FD mount for $20 and have been stunned by the image quality. Then if you want, there are lots of Adaptall lenses out there to buy, cheap, and many are quite good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does the instructor want the students to have??

85 to 135 mm is good for portraits and as a moderate telephoto
    200 mm is good for sports - car and motorcycle racing
    300 mm also good for sports and wildlife
    400 mm to 600 mm good for wildlife, but hard to hand hold, really requires a tripod, fast film ...

I hope that helps,
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin