Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,614   Online: 1310

Shooter
    35mm

Return of old Friends - Fun Project

I wanted to share a project idea that I did, not too long ago. It was quite fun and maybe a few of you would like to do something similar or already have.

Back in the day, a boy took a high school photography class and learned quickly how limited and or useless his 110 and 126 cameras were, and proceeded to beg mom to buy him a 35mm camera. Lo and behold one day the magic happened and he became the proud owner of a Yashica MG-1. It was his first 35mm camera. Not too long after that the lad advanced, needing more than the fixed lens of the Yashica could provide, and a Minolta XG-1 became his pride and joy. Years and years pass, and the XG-1 was traded for a Nikon EM, then the EM was traded for an N2000. The N2000 was stolen before even a single picture could be taken, but the Navy helped reimburse the lad his loss, and a Minolta X-570 was the result.

Those were the days. All those cameras were "sole owner" cameras, in that, I had no other camera concurrently. Not so nowadays. I made it a point, a couple years ago, to scour eBay and get a copy of each of these 4 cameras, and they now sit in my mini-museum case. I have about 6-8 other SLRs that I use regularly so these are seldom called into action. But they do, on occasion, see use. All of them work fine.

If you're bored, or have some spare cash, try doing it yourself. It's amazing what cameras go for now. I got the Yashica for like, $15.

Just promise yourself you'll take them out and use them once in a while. They were boon companions once, and still can be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great post!

You'll certainly read your share of "doom and gloom" here but the upside is that we can now fleece the newly-created digital establishment of its former analog treasures.

My latest acquisition was a Yashica TL Electro-X w/ Yashinon DX 50mm f/1.4 for all of $19 and I've already run a couple rolls through it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with cameras later in life and have no old favorites. I bought an Argus C-3 like my Dad had..only paid $5 for it. The C-3 was his camera during the trips and outings each Summer and it brings back good memories of those times.

--John

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My first "real" camera was a Nikon Nikkormat FT-2. I still have it; although it now "resides" at our Tucson home (it's managed to "retire" before me!).

We won't get back out there again until November, but you're right - I need to take it out for a little exercise the next time the two of us are together!

Shooter
    35mm

My dad's camera

Quote Originally Posted by JHannon View Post
    I started with cameras later in life and have no old favorites. I bought an Argus C-3 like my Dad had..only paid $5 for it. The C-3 was his camera during the trips and outings each Summer and it brings back good memories of those times.

--John
    Kewl! I wish I knew what my dad owned. He died when I was 5 and all his photo gear was sold or used to "pay off debts" that were claimed by his friends. My ma probably had no clue what some of his cameras and guns were worth. I inherited quite a few slides, a movie camera and projector, and that's about it. Many, MANY of his shots were poorly exposed or focused, or were double exposures. I know he had a light meter too but I traded that away as a clueless lad. For comic books I think. He had the camera in the Navy, circa 1956 or so. Had it until he died I assume.

Love to hear some guesses as to what he had!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first 'proper' camera was a Nikon FG which my father got for me around about 1985. I still have it and used it this afternoon.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've told this story a number of times. My first "real" camera was a Mamiya SD rangefinder. I kind of pushed it aside when I "upgraded" to a Pentax Spotmatic a few years later and then sold it for a song and a dance.

Yes, back in 2005 I went on a quest to find another one, eventually making one nice one out of two of them.

I don't consider myself to be a collector, but I swear I will never sell another camera that I have ever been satisfied with.

I still consider the K1000 to be my "main" camera, having "upgraded" from the Spotmatic on a whim because of the ease of changing lenses. Then right after I got a 28-135 zoom for it. Yeah, go figure. I sometimes wish I didn't sell the Spotmatic, (I had original Takumar 28 and 135.) but I don't feel the driving need to get another one. However, if one comes along ...

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello to all!
    I have had: a Brownie Box camera [originally, my mom's]; a Vivitar 110 [was stolen!]; and now a very proud owner of a Minolta SRT-101! Psst, also, I own a Walgreens "35mm" camera, she whispers quietly.
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin