Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 747

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just remember--the plane of focus is going to be pretty far from the dust you're worried about.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    bdial: Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those companies. The one skgrimes sells seems to be pretty sturdy and reasonably priced although i think it might need a little time on the grinder.. I might opt to just "be inspired" (aka steal some ideas :/) though, and build one myself.

film_guy: The cost of cleaning it would indeed be more than the worth of the lens.

steven_e007: Where to start, hehe. Professional advice is always appreciated and you've saved my ass a couple times already (and i haven't even started yet ). I'll post some pics of the lens and my progress as soon as i get hold of a spanner wrench and a digi cam. Still undecided if i'm going to make the wrench or buy it.

JJC: Heheh, this was DIY The distance from the rear of the lens to the ring is a little over 1cm though, so i think perhaps the windshield wiper parts would be a little too flimsy at that length. If i do make one myself i'll probably get a couple of those.. hmm.. i don't know what they're called in english.. what carpenters use to get nails into wooden panel without leaving a hammer mark. (looks a lot like what the skgrimes wrench tips are made of.) Either fix those into a vise or make some sort of bracket for them.

fschifano & Mr. Goldfarb: I'm aware that this isn't a serious issue and that i should probably let it be, but i'm a hopeless "tinkerer". I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work. Hopefully, i get away with it when it's time for reassembly .

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Degenetron View Post
    Will i be needing any special tools besides some small screwdrivers?
    And finally.. Is this a good idea to do yourself?
    I see nothing wrong with DIY, although my experience is only with relatively elderly Pentax/Takumar lenses. The main thing to me is (as Tomosy says in his books) take as much time as it needs and don't try to hurry. Don't be tempted to try to take short-cuts by using two screwdrivers in the opposing slots of retaining rings - take the time to make a tool for the job, which can be suitably profiled to avoid any convex glass surfaces etc.. Making such tools needn't take long, and once made, they are there for that time three years down the road when you need to take the lens apart for some other reason. On Pentax lenses that I've worked on, no glass removal has ever involved meddling with the focussing, but I can't speak for other manufacturers.
    As someone else has said, don't take apart any more than you need to and if you can blow the crud away without having to wipe the surface of the glass, so much the better. (Lens cleaning and the marks it leaves has been raised elsewhere on APUG and is, for me, the biggest issue with lens disassembly).

Good luck Jim. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds (if you remember the original Mission Impossible!)

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin