Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,046   Online: 832

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax Mx..What the hell?

I had my MX serviced (meter not working)at Commercial Camera Repair Ltd.out of Toronto.They did a fine job.I just picked it up this morning and the meter is T.K.Oed again. .Of course the warrenty expired last month.
    Is the MX prone to self distruction while sitting idle? Any thoughts of a solution? I certainly can't afford another trip to T.O.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I had my MX serviced (meter not working)at Commercial Camera Repair Ltd.out of Toronto.They did a fine job.I just picked it up this morning and the meter is T.K.Oed again. .Of course the warrenty expired last month.
    Is the MX prone to self distruction while sitting idle? Any thoughts of a solution? I certainly can't afford another trip to T.O.

Mike
    How long ago was the servicing? 7 months ago (six months warranty plus one month)? What did they do to the camera? If they got the old meter cell working again, then I would say it is bad luck (but obviously very annoying)that it has now failed. If on the other hand they installed a new cell, I would contact the repairer and make a goodwill claim - if a new cell (or even a newly-installed used cell) has lasted only seven months, this is unacceptable. Pentax center-weighted metering was never the most accurate, but the cells always seemed to be good for at least 20 years.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine's done 28 years and counting...fingers crossed now..Its been through periods of busy and idle during that time, and although its never suffered any battery leakage inside, it has been flat. I've experienced no problems at all.
    Consider this: Most lenses are better than most photographers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip David.The repair was 7 months ago but I shall contact them and see if the problem can be rectified.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought an MX for $5 at a garage sale recently. The meter wasn't working but it's only because the battery cover has been corroded. I cleaned it up and it works fine except that the X sync doesn't work. Both the hot shoe and the X sync PC connector don't work. Must be the X sync contact by shutter. FP sync OK. I sold it for $50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, I've spoken to two different repairmen about my own MX, both indicated that parts were becoming hard to obtain and that the MX's are prone to develop electrical problems.

However the usual problem is with the o/off meter switch activated by the film advance, and I was told this was a simple repair. Usual signs are complete electrical failure, including the hotshoe/x-synch.

Unfortunately the minimum cost of repairs now is often more than the price of a mint model on the auction site, so its difficult to make a decision.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian,
    It still fires so I think it's time for a hand held meter + grey card.A bit slower..............but then again,so am I.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

However the usual problem is with the o/off meter switch activated by the film advance, and I was told this was a simple repair. Usual signs are complete electrical failure, including the hotshoe/x-synch.

Ian
    The meter switch has no physical connection to the flash synch circuit at all, it is actuated by moving the advance lever away from the body. The switch itself is a gold plated pair of contacts that either corrode or accumulate some insulating crap & require cleaning for them to be functional again.
    The synch circuit does have two switches within the circuit but are not battery dependent.
    It's likely that Mike's camera has actually gunked up just by sitting & requires a buffing of the contacts. In the past I've used the edge of US currency to clean switches such as this. the surface of the $$ is rough enough to burnish the contact.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be right, however that's what I was told by a very reputable repair technician. The same technicians had just done a superb job on an LF lens.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The meter switch has no physical connection to the flash synch circuit at all, it is actuated by moving the advance lever away from the body. The switch itself is a gold plated pair of contacts that either corrode or accumulate some insulating crap & require cleaning for them to be functional again.
    The synch circuit does have two switches within the circuit but are not battery dependent.
    It's likely that Mike's camera has actually gunked up just by sitting & requires a buffing of the contacts. In the past I've used the edge of US currency to clean switches such as this. the surface of the $$ is rough enough to burnish the contact.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you tried another battery? The MX is notorious for shorting out even with the shutter button locked; you can read about it at the bottom of this page:

http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/mxmlu.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin