Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,519   Online: 1059

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Nikon MV-1 & Mac question

I hope someone here can help me out with this last question I have. I've searched but can find no definitive answer and I don't want to get into a dead end.
    first some background information. I am slowly heading the "other" way.
    I had stopped shooting film in 2002 when I went digital. Now years later I find that I have had this mysterious pull back to film which the left side of my brain just doesn't understand. But so what ... photography, especially as the hobby that I crave it to be again is a right brain thing right?

So a year ago I got a Nikon F100 and a mamiya 645 AF system. I found that despite how great the mamiya was that it was not for me. I like to shoot faster than it allowed me. So I sold it. I have however found that the F100 is all, and more - than I wanted it to be. Now over the next year I want to go in the other direction and away from digital back to film. 35 then it is and I will buy myself an F6.

There is however one issue that I really miss compared to digital and that is the exif data. I file and find my shots (20,000 + ) via the exif info and don't want to change my ways.

I am then ready to buy the MV-1 card reader to use with the F100 now and both it and the F6 when Santa smiles at me but I need to make sure that the MV-1 is fine and perfectly functional with a Mac system. Does anyone know if whatever file system this gizmo uses mounts and imports into either excel or Photomechanic the data that is recorded? This is a huge issue for me, so I would be very grateful to anyone who can tell me, preferably from first hand experience if and how well this data transfer works on a Mac.

Thanks! (and sorry for my typical long post )
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ta_Reader.html

The Nikon MV-1 allows you to transfer the recorded shooting data that's stored inside the F6, F5 or F100 cameras for each shot as a text file (.txt) to a Compact Flash card (CF Type I, included). Data can then be transferred from the memory card to your personal computer, and used with data management programs like Excel, etc.
    Compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Steve! I don't know how I missed that. Now the coast is clear ... except to find the money for the F6. I've been slowly thinking that I can live with only one Digital body .... so it may be time for a sale .... to move forwards by moving backwards.

Next ... you guys will have to bear with me about all the film questions I've been going through the last few moths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome back from the darkside!

When it comes to art and imaging, anything a PC can do a Mac can do better!

Let the flame wars begin! NO! NO! NO! I was just kidding. My sense of humor.

My bad.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    Thank you Steve! I don't know how I missed that. Now the coast is clear ... except to find the money for the F6. I've been slowly thinking that I can live with only one Digital body .... so it may be time for a sale .... to move forwards by moving backwards.

Next ... you guys will have to bear with me about all the film questions I've been going through the last few moths.
    Pavel. Tom Hicks here, let me know how the MV-1 works . I have a copy of photosecretary for the f5 but have never used it . I also have an F100, so the MV-1 looks interesting. Like we have talked about before I too am playing with film again , and hope to take it as far as I did the digital stuff.

film stuff -- Nikon F5
    F100
    FM2N
    FT2 Nikomat (Japan) version
    F2 Photomic/DP-1

Canon 2 - A-1's
    2 - AE-1's

Minolta SRT 200

Looking for a mint F-1new and maybe a EOS 1V

Digital Canon D30, D60, Nikon D2h

and of course lens for everything some 40 + I guess.

I think I need mental help as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom - if you take it half as far as your macro stuff ... that will be a lot of nice stuff on your wall!

I'm now almost a year with film so I can definitely say that its not an errant idea for me. I'm finding that I am enjoying the challenge more than I expected and more than I understand. It feels like a hobby again. Progress is slow however, I feel.

I am going to get that MV-1 next month or the month after ( trying hard to catch up to your lens sickness first ). I use photomechanic to organise my stuff and depend on the exif and keywording - so I want to do it right.
    The one thing I've learned from digital is that until you get a system which works for you refined it can be hell to have chaos. So I think I've got a good one for film but the data on apperture, shutter, exposure compensation and iso speed is something I want to have keyworded in right from the get-go as it will help me sort out what does and does not work for me. I don't want go back three years from now and spend a marathon session of four months getting it right - like I've had to do with digital several times.

I will let you know how it works for me after I get it and have gotten a chance to put it to some combat use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin