Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,417   Online: 693

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have a workable solution for the digi vs. film blues: go to the "Product Availability" forum here on APUG and list your favorite on-line photo lab. This way we can all send our film to be developed at a reputable lab. By giving that lab (or those labs) the extra business, we help keep them in business while sending the message that we refuse to let film die.

I can't have a color lab in my house because I don't have the space for it. I have no choice but to rely on labs for printing my negatives (yes, I can scan them but that defeats the purpose doesn't it?), and I am sure that there are many of us here that are in the same boat. If we could shoot several rolls of film per week and have them developed professionaly at a decent price, I see no reason to stop using film.

This would make many of us very happy. Looking forward to getting our rolls back from the lab has always been one of the joys of film use as well. This, in turn, would lead many of us to buy even more film equipment. Everyone benifits, everyone is happy.

Please excuse my unusually happy tone. I just got back from a three day photo gettaway vacation in Key West, Florida! My "don't worry, be happy" tone should be dwindling some time soon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I have reached the point where I fully accept that film photography is a niche interest practiced by those who just enjoy it. ... that means accepting that being a "filmster" means one is in the minority of all picture shooters - so be it.
    Here-here, being part of the shrinking photo-graphic minority is liberating and uplifting, not depressing.

So narsuitus, you're quite well actually, you don't suffer cronic Instantus gratificatus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    See the problem is the engineering mind. The engineer in all of us - only a few happy souls can claim they don't have one - is the one that weighs up the pro's and con's. Its the part of the brain that makes up the equations.

The equations do not look so good for film. We all know that. I mean the practical aspects involved in shooting are with digital - like driving a sterile little gas efficient car for all of ones life it just makes sense to the practical mind. We know it at some level. but it gets rubbed in the face and that pisses us off.
    But you know something? Engineers make poor artists. The equations for fun are all "wrong" they say. Passion? does not compute. Honestly .... and I hate painting with so broad a brush ... but here goes .... in my experience, engineers, accountants and co. just don't get it and the results suffer.
    Film doesn't have to be logical. Heck, it probably should be exactly the opposite. Like love. The moment one analyses it ... it vanishes. So with art. Those that get that are much closer to enjoying the photographic mysteries - and I can't but help noticing that it happens much much more often with people who are defying the lemming urge and walking to their own inner beat.

Throw out the engineer and all the sense - and then, paradoxically film starts to make perfect sense. Its art.

I believe as more and more people walk away from film that we get closer and closer to its resurgence. As things become rare they grow in value. I believe a film renaissance is already starting. It just makes sense. Perfect artistic sense.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hell, you don't even need to shoot the stuff. I can enjoy just opening the fridge door and imagining the potential magic contained within all those cartons! And if the reality ever approaches the potential, I'd be a really happy guy!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    Engineers make poor artists.
    Yes, but it's surprising how often artists can be good engineers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if i happened to be a cobbler, my shoes would be filled with holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly .... and I hate painting with so broad a brush ... but here goes .... in my experience, engineers, accountants and co. just don't get it and the results suffer.
    You must not have seen my work then.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    You must not have seen my work then.

Steve
    Different strokes for different folks eh.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Engineers make poor artists.
    I am an engineer, photographer and musician. When I am a photographer or musician, any thoughts about being an engineer have to be totally supressed.

My first ten years as a photographer were far to technical. You have to learn to ignore logic and start actually looking at things.

One of my fellow engineers at work is also a marine oil painter. We both agree that we are both far more interested in the aesthetic than the technical side of things.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just received a like-new F2A in the mail today.

To heck with digital. It's their problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin