Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,477   Online: 941

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Totally depressed

I have been totally depressed since the owner of my professional photo lab showed me the photos he took during his recent vacation to Peru. Normally, he shoots his vacation photos with a film camera; but this year, he used a digital camera. Since his photo lab is geared toward film users, he was the last person I expected to go digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some people theres work and there's play. Because of his profession he might have gone digital.

Kinda like my co-worker, he has been a Nikon and Leica (and some Canon) user for years as not only a wedding photographer, but also decades as a commercial photographer and darkroom technician (talking 40+ years). He now shoots with a Pentax *ist DL2 and a Canon Powershot G6. He has a Canon A2 and a Nikon F3 at home as well as a little Rollei 35 but most of them never see the light of day unless he wants to go out and play with say the peleng 8mm mounted on the A2 or some other old lens to mount on an old body. Most of his stuff is heavily photoshoped (his personal stuff) and is on photomusings.com but yea for him digital just made sense, and he'll often tease me about going from digital to film, but he has plenty of experience with film which I often learn from him.

He'll sometimes ask me why I don't just shoot the digital (something bout how I'm wasting a model's time shooting film) or like my newest purchase an Olympus Pen-FT. 99% of the time my answer would be just simply "I want to", or "It's fun". Which he totally accepts, but if I give him some other kind of answer he'll try to break the logic of that answer.

I remember a bout a year ago he said something to the likes that he was 66 and that he didn't have time for film. But yes on the surface if you seen his resume you'd think he would be the last person to go digital, just like how if you seen my past record you'd think I would be the last person to go film. Course he and I both agree that if Ansel Adams were alive he would so be using photoshop, lightroom or one of those others, least we got that in common (aside from wanting to experiment and play with every camera gear we come accross)
    Last edited by kb244; 07-21-2007 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at it this way: Totally depressed is a low as it gets! Buy some more film, buy some chemicals... make pictures, develop them yourself.... Have fun! The sky is the limit... No... it is higher than that!
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually dead is as low as it gets, but that's besides the point! Shoot your new digital and enjoy it. You'll come back to your film cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Actually dead is as low as it gets, but that's besides the point! Shoot your new digital and enjoy it. You'll come back to your film cameras.

He was talking bout someone he knows, not himself.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    He was talking bout someone he knows, not himself.
    Ah, so he was! I must read these things more carefully!

In that case, don't worry about it, it isn't your problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    I have been totally depressed since the owner of my professional photo lab showed me the photos he took during his recent vacation to Peru. Normally, he shoots his vacation photos with a film camera; but this year, he used a digital camera. Since his photo lab is geared toward film users, he was the last person I expected to go digital.
    Without wishing to be unduly literal or damping, no, you aren't totally depressed. You're just a bit pissed off. As Spike Milligan once said, 'being depressed is like being dead.' You can't do anything; you regard suicide as a desirable option, but you can't be assed to do anything about it.

I've been depressed, and I've been pissed off. Sometimes the latter can lead to the former. The news you report would certainly piss me off, and maybe, in the hollow of the night or when I've had too much to drink, that could tip me over into genuine depression. If it did, I certainly wouldn't have the energy to post here.

It's only a photograph. I have very mixed feelings about digital, which I use alongside silver halide. If I were shooting only happy snaps, I think I'd use only digital too. If I were shooting only Fine Art, I think I'd use only film. But it's worth retaining a sense of proportion here.

Again, my apologies for being unduly literal, but really, depression is so bloody awful that your header reminded me of what it is like...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like your friend should be the one who's depressed- not you.

To treat your depression, the best thing would be to take a film camera to Peru.

But Roger is right, you might be taking the definition of depression a bit too lightly... just have a little drink and start planning your trip
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ...just have a little drink and start planning your trip
    Dear Keith,

I'll drink to that! (Off to the Pyrenees next week with a Hasselblad, lots of film and the new ZV lenses, insh'Allah!)

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have reached the point where I fully accept that film photography is a niche interest practiced by those who just enjoy it. Leaving aside fine art photography, for most professionals, the digital option is a very viable one. While that means accepting that being a "filmster" means one is in the minority of all picture shooters - so be it.

Just enjoy what you do and let your friend enjoy playing with his new digi gear. And don't say "I told you so" when he starts shooting film again in a year or two because he misses doing "real photography".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin