Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,482   Online: 1258

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to cover some things that I already have...

I have the following
    Mamiya-Sekor 50mm f/2
    Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro (my favorite lens, I use it mainly with the EF or FD mount, very sharp for me even on the digi)
    Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm f/2.5 (it's 'ok' softer than I'd like)
    I just sold my Mamaiya 200mm f/3.5 not that long ago (doh lol).
    I also got a Leica thread mount to M42 adapter somewhere.
    And theres the M42 adaptall mount I Got hiding round here somewhere.

I won't get the adapter for the pen til least wendsday.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I find that focusing the 25/2.8 Pen Zuiko on the FT's fairly dim screen is difficult enough; I wouldn't relish the thought of trying to do it at f/3.5.

If you want something wide for the Pen I'd have patience and keep an eye out for the 25/2.8 Pen Zuiko.

My Pen-FT is modified ( has a hot-shoe installed, the meter removed, and mirror by the meter replaced with a fully silvered mirror, everything else is bout the same though).

Also I'd eventually get the 20/4 or 25/2.8 however thats a bit of coinage to drop.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    My Pen-FT is modified ( has a hot-shoe installed, the meter removed, and mirror by the meter replaced with a fully silvered mirror, everything else is bout the same though).

Also I'd eventually get the 20/4 or 25/2.8 however thats a bit of coinage to drop.
    Karl, I have an M42-to-Pen F adapter and several Pentax M42 lenses. For my taste using the full frame lenses with an adapter on the Pen really is a kludge - it works, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it to solve a special problem, but it takes an elegant camera and makes it klunky. Yes, YMMV.

Don't despair re finding the genuine article at a non-crazy price. I got a nice deal on a Pen 25/2.8 on which the owner had scratched some numbers into the barrel. Optically and mechanically it was fine. Bad for the collectors, good for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a couple of 50/55s that work well... The Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 is a very nice lens. Much more interesting is the 50mm 2.8 Zeiss Tessar Jena. Sharp in the middle, pleasing fade off in sharpness on the very edges. It's only downfall is you set the aperture after focus. Be on the lookout for the Fujinon lens in this range also. They are pretty sharp, usually cheap.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Karl, I have an M42-to-Pen F adapter and several Pentax M42 lenses. For my taste using the full frame lenses with an adapter on the Pen really is a kludge - it works, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it to solve a special problem, but it takes an elegant camera and makes it klunky. Yes, YMMV.

Don't despair re finding the genuine article at a non-crazy price. I got a nice deal on a Pen 25/2.8 on which the owner had scratched some numbers into the barrel. Optically and mechanically it was fine. Bad for the collectors, good for me.

hehe, you're talking to a guy who've had a habit of making things klutzier than they should be. I'll always have my 38/1.8 , but until then I'd like to at least be able to use some other lens. Hell I've used my adaptalls on a Canon EOS body, and that would behave the same way (gota manually stop down after focusing).

Also where can you find a non-crazy price on most of the pen lens aside from the 38/1.8, 40/1.4, 100/3.5 or 150/4. kevin cameras seems to have most of the 'artifacts' and most of those prices are like 'holy sh*t man'.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    The Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm F/2.5 Model 01B is a very good lens that will cost less than the Pentax: not quite as good, but certainly very good for the money. It's also fairly compact, which would make sense used on a small camera.
    I've got a Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5 model 01BB. I'm not sure if that's significantly different from the one you mention, but I do like it a lot. I mainly use it with K-mount cameras, but I've got a couple of M42 bodies and an appropriate adapter.

At a bit wider you could look for a Mir-20M, which is a Russian 20mm lens. They pop up on eBay occasionally, or you can buy from an outfit like RuGift in Russia. I've got one of these lenses in a mount for the Kiev 10/15 cameras, and it's nice -- much nicer than my Kiev 15, though, so I seldom use mine. Among other things, I like the fact that it focuses down to 0.18m, which is unusually close for such a wide lens. It's not nearly as compact as the 24mm Tamron, though; the Mir-20 has a very wide front element. It also uses unusual rear-mounted filters (or at least recent production samples do; mine is much older and doesn't seem to take filters at all). Be sure to get one in M42 mount if that's what you want. I don't care as much for my 20mm Mir-47K (mine's K-mount, but M42-mount is also available), since it's downright blurry at the edges unless it's stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller. This might not be a problem with a half-frame camera, though, and my Mir-47K is sharp in the center, even wide open.

Of course, personal standards vary; what I consider a good lens you might consider utter garbage, or vice-versa. It's hard to get around that in online discussions. My own experience is as an amateur who's only used a one or two dozen lenses in total, and fewer than half a dozen wider than 28mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Of course, personal standards vary; what I consider a good lens you might consider utter garbage, or vice-versa. It's hard to get around that in online discussions. My own experience is as an amateur who's only used a one or two dozen lenses in total, and fewer than half a dozen wider than 28mm.

I agree it's personal preference, but I do have at the least a Industar-10 50/3.5, Jupiter-12 35/2.8 and Jupiter-11 135/4 that I use for both my Canon P and Fed-2A, so I'm not extremely picky on weather or not its considered 'good' by the likes of someone who uses mostly Canon L glass. The main problem with the russian stuff is that whenever I do find them at (in my own way) acceptible price, its usually upward to a 50$ shipping charge.

However Rugift, does that price include shipping seems if you goto pay for it, its the same price as they list. Probably overpriced, cuz I remember those MC tilt shift lens being available for half of what they are asking.
    Last edited by kb244; 07-22-2007 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    However Rugift, does that price include shipping seems if you goto pay for it, its the same price as they list. Probably overpriced, cuz I remember those MC tilt shift lens being available for half of what they are asking.
    Click the "Shipping" link on their page. They specify shipping charges are typically in the $20-$35 range except for heavier items.

Their prices have gone up since I last ordered from them, but not all that much. Prices seem variable; as you say, their tilt/shift lenses are pricey compared to, say, their 20mm lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Helios 44 50mm is a very good lens and costs practically nothing. I tested mine against my Nikon 50mm f1.8 (which is outstanding) and there's not much between them in the f2.8-f8 range.

The Vivitar 24mm is worth a go as well, but in general I'd stick to modern wide zooms if you want anything wider. MF lenses in this range are going for stupid amounts of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatPoet View Post
    The Helios 44 50mm is a very good lens and costs practically nothing. I tested mine against my Nikon 50mm f1.8 (which is outstanding) and there's not much between them in the f2.8-f8 range.

The Vivitar 24mm is worth a go as well, but in general I'd stick to modern wide zooms if you want anything wider. MF lenses in this range are going for stupid amounts of money.
    Hrm, I traded my Zenit-11 that had a Helios-44 50mm lens on it for a Jupiter-12 35/1.8 for my Canon P/Fed-2A.

Question though, how would one attach a MF lens such as an Mamiya 90mm f/3.8C (for the RB67) to the likes of an M42 adapter? ( not that I'd ever do that but would look funny as hell having my 90 on the Pen, least more so than if I stuck the Pen-FT to my 1200mm Celestron C90Mak spotting scope).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin