Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,993   Online: 818

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt you can stick a Mamiya lens on. Maybe with a custom/expensive mount job.

You can stick Kiev P6 lenses. You need a P6 to M42 adapter. Used to be common on Ebay.

Shooter
    35mm

M42 Lenses For Olympus Pen Cameras

I have a 20/3.8 Vivitar Fixed Mount which has the same general shape as the 20/4 Flektogon. Even after all these years it's still a decent lens. You are using the central portion of the lens and that helps too. The Vivitar 24/2 with the 22XXX... serial number was made by Kino but often has oil on the blades. The one with the 28XXX... serial number was made by Komine and is usually in good condition. A 24/2.8 would cost less but be a little dimmer to focus. The Pen cameras do not have very bright viewfinders. You might also look for a 17mm f/3.5 Vivitar or Tokina. These are also nice and were made in M42 mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I doubt you can stick a Mamiya lens on. Maybe with a custom/expensive mount job.

You can stick Kiev P6 lenses. You need a P6 to M42 adapter. Used to be common on Ebay.
    Interesting to know (P6 to M42) not particularly for my Pen, but for other cameras I'm thinking of. Though putting a P6 lens on front of my Pen would be less of a hassle than say the Nikon 6mm f/2.8 on front of a small body (not that it has any relevance but just something I thought of in my mind).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatPoet View Post
    The Helios 44 50mm is a very good lens and costs practically nothing. I tested mine against my Nikon 50mm f1.8 (which is outstanding) and there's not much between them in the f2.8-f8 range.
    FWIW, the Helios 44 is actually a 58mm lens, not 50mm. A minor point, but possibly important. It's also very slightly slower than what kb244 wants in his ~50mm lens, at f/2.0. I agree that it's a sharp lens, though.

Concerning the discussion of adapting MF lenses to a 35mm half-frame camera, I'd be concerned about resolution. A lot of MF lenses don't resolve as many lines per millimeter as do lenses for 35mm cameras; the larger MF film size lets the designers get away with this, since the total number of lines per frame will still be bigger. Adapting an MF lens to a full-frame 35mm camera might still produce an acceptably sharp image, but there'll be even more loss (in terms of lines per frame) when attaching an MF lens to a half-frame 35mm camera. Maybe it'd still be OK, but I'd be a bit wary of this. Of course, similar arguments can be made about using full-frame 35mm lenses on a half-frame 35mm camera, but that's a smaller difference in frame size than from MF to half-frame 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    FWIW, the Helios 44 is actually a 58mm lens, not 50mm. A minor point, but possibly important. It's also very slightly slower than what kb244 wants in his ~50mm lens, at f/2.0. I agree that it's a sharp lens, though.

Concerning the discussion of adapting MF lenses to a 35mm half-frame camera, I'd be concerned about resolution. A lot of MF lenses don't resolve as many lines per millimeter as do lenses for 35mm cameras; the larger MF film size lets the designers get away with this, since the total number of lines per frame will still be bigger. Adapting an MF lens to a full-frame 35mm camera might still produce an acceptably sharp image, but there'll be even more loss (in terms of lines per frame) when attaching an MF lens to a half-frame 35mm camera. Maybe it'd still be OK, but I'd be a bit wary of this. Of course, similar arguments can be made about using full-frame 35mm lenses on a half-frame 35mm camera, but that's a smaller difference in frame size than from MF to half-frame 35mm.

You are correct in regards to the 58mm focal length.

As for the MF lens, I do remember that traditionally speaking the larger the format, the less resolving power the lens typically has. But far as the medium format lens goes, if I were to adapt it, it would only be one I already own as opposed to seeking out a new lens to try.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Question though, how would one attach a MF lens such as an Mamiya 90mm f/3.8C (for the RB67) to the likes of an M42 adapter?
    Pentax makes adapters to use their 6x7 and their 645 lenses on K-mount 35mm bodies, (and one for their 6x7 lenses on 645 bodies). That wouldn't connect with an M42 adapter, but I'm sure that there are K-mount to Pen-F adapters made.

Probably not worth doing unless you had a lens you already really wanted to use that way, but it is one answer to the question.

There are easily available P6 to screwmount adapters, of course, too - should you want to something as odd as attaching a 55mm T&S lens, or a 30mm fisheye to you Pen-F...

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    but I'm sure that there are K-mount to Pen-F adapters made.

Actually not that I've ever seen. Aside from the "Adapter P" which is a pentax screwmount adapter most of the other ones were for exakta, canon FD, Nikon, leica, and such and most of those are mostly priced about 250$ up to 300$ for the adapters. No one seems to make aftermarket adapters either.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I've a Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f4 M42 lens that is pretty decent. It's older, there's fall off and distortion but it's pretty wide.

They made a 20mm f2.8 as well but it's more $$$. I paid $120 for mine from Poland. There are a lot of these up there.
    I like the 42mm screw mount 20mm 2.8 Multi coated Zeiss Flektagon very much, I bought mine via the internet from a seller in Slovakia.

I also like the older non Multi-Coated 20mm f4 Zeiss Flektagon. The only distortion I see with it is the expected geometric distortion. I am not bothered by the (expected) light fall-off at the edges of the frame. I've published several Black and White images that I took with the 20mm f4.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 07-23-2007 at 07:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format

MF lenses on smaller formats

Many Medium Format lenses _do_ resolve as many lp/mm as a 35mm lens...don't write them all off on the basis of popular myths. Generally, any MF lens designed since about 1980 - including moderate wideangles - or any "normal/standard or long lens (on MF)" designed since the 1960s, will be very competitive with 35mm equivalents using the same fundamental designs and optical glass types.

Once you get into exotic ED and APO glass, aspheric elements and so on, then you might think that the 35mm lenses will pull ahead...but there are also APO MF lenses which keep right up with them!

The biggest differences are (a) 35mm lenses can be made with a faster f-ratio without becoming too gigantic, (b) MF SLR lenses move into the retrofocus design regime at focal lengths under about 80mm, whereas the threshold for 35mm SLRs is closer to 45mm; this makes it difficult to find a really good (or sometimes any) MF wideangle around the 35-45mm focal length, while the same thing applies to 35mm lenses shorter than 20mm.

Indeed, apart from just keeping up with 35mm performance, MF lenses can have some advantages. MF lenses will often vignette less. They may also provide improved corner sharpness, since the corner of the 35mm frame (where the designers give up) is well inside the MF frame (where the designers still have to be on their toes).

So if you don't need the fastest f-stops, and you avoid anything wider than the equivalent of about a 35mm-lens-on-35mm-film, and you stay away from simple, few-element designs like Tessars (ugly lenses on _any_ format!), MF SLR lenses can be damn good on smaller formats!

Some of my favourites, which perform admirably on 35mm film - even wide open, or at least 1 stop down from wide open:

Mamiya 645 55mm f2.8 N-type
    Mamiya 645 80mm f1.9
    Carl Zeiss Jena 120mm f2.8 MC Biometar
    Mamiya 645 200mm f2.8 APO [amazingly, currently available new for the same as any good 200/2.8 APO for 35mm cameras!]
    Carl Zeiss Jena 300mm f4 MC Sonnar

These are just M645 and P6 fitting lenses...every MF lens line will also have great performers, but I don't want to comment on anything I haven't used.

Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Vivatar 28mm f2.5 in excellent condition. Interested?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin