Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,976   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recomend me a Wide M42 lens

So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a M42 adapter for the Olympus Pen-FT half-frame camera, basically the cheapest mount of all the adapters you can get for the Pen-FT (short of those bellow adapters).

Right now I have a Olympus F.Zuiko Auto-S 38mm f/1.8 lens that came with my FT which is nice but its basically somewhat a 55mm or so perspective on the half-frame (1.44x give or take).

I'm wondering what is out there in the range of 24mm or wider on the M42 screwmount lens that would make a good candidate to look into. I thought bout just getting a fisheye like the spiratone 12mm f/8 t-mount lens and putting a t-mount on top of the m42 adapter since it would still be corrected for registration distance and would be basically a 16-17 crop equiv (but with just a heck of a bit more distortion and probably a soft as hell image, but I wouldn't have to worry much bout focusing).

What of some like the older Pentax SMC 24mm f/2.8 (the M42 one not the K mount one).

On the flip side whats a good 50 to 55mm lens that has a nice fast aperture (1.8 or faster) that would be sharp at the center for a good portrait lens (as it'll have more or less the 80mm range on the half-framer).

Basically keep in mind I am also somewhat budget minded (and yet I paid 120$ for a lens adapter... sheesh), but feel free to recommend almost anything.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its not superwide, but I love the shots I get from my Mamiya/Sekor 28mm f/2.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    In terms of a 50mm for M42 with a faster aperture, the only one I can find is a Takumar 50/1.4 - KEH has a couple for ~US$100 currently.

I have a Volna-9 50/2.8 that I like (it's also macro), and I've just ordered a Helios 44M-6 (58/2) - it's a late-model version which is supposed to be the better Helios build quality (actually it's the default lens on the later Zenit-ET cameras, so I've bought one of those for ~$30). The usual advantage of the Russian/Soviet m42 lenses is price, the tradeoff is possible quality-control issues (eg, buy from a reputable seller).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the Takumar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Takumar 24mm will cost you, it never sells under 300$. If you want, I have a much cheaper Vivitar 24mm that I haven't been using much, just PM or email me.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    I'm wondering what is out there in the range of 24mm or wider on the M42 screwmount lens that would make a good candidate to look into.

What of some like the older Pentax SMC 24mm f/2.8 (the M42 one not the K mount one).
    That won't be a particularly cheap lens for you, but it is really nice: I used one for years before moving to Pentax K-mount and was always pleased with it.

The 20mm f4 is also a rather good lens, but also probably not cheap. The 15mm and, especially, 18mm Pentaxes are excellent, and I think both were made in screw-mount versions - again, neither will be cheap.

There is a Kiron 24mm f2 that has a very good reputation though I've never owned one myself. This is said to be particularly good for centre sharpness, which will be good for your application, and, of course, it is fast for that focal length.

There are also some good Tamron Adaptall lenses you could look at. The Adaptall-2 17mm f3.5 I haven't used but have seen good results from: it is maybe a little soft in the corners before about f5.6, but used on half frame that won't matter to you.

The Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm F/2.5 Model 01B is a very good lens that will cost less than the Pentax: not quite as good, but certainly very good for the money. It's also fairly compact, which would make sense used on a small camera. There's also an older Adaptall (no "2") version of this lens, but I don't know whether it is the same optical design or not.

There are also some Vivitar Series One lenses, the older ones, mostly made by Kiron, as T-mounts that should be worth looking at. There is a 19mm that is rather good, and I think a 24mm.

On the flip side whats a good 50 to 55mm lens that has a nice fast aperture (1.8 or faster) that would be sharp at the center for a good portrait lens (as it'll have more or less the 80mm range on the half-framer).
    Pentax Super-Multicoated-Takumar 55mm f1.8, Pentax Super-Multicoated-Takumar 50mm f1.4. Both are excellent lenses, and I especially like the f1.4. Fujica also made screw mount lenses, and their fast 50 should be good, and probably cheaper than the Pentaxes.

HTH,

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don´t think there is a Pentax 24mm 2.8 M42 lens, you must be thinking of the 3.5 lens?

Trond

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've a Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f4 M42 lens that is pretty decent. It's older, there's fall off and distortion but it's pretty wide.

They made a 20mm f2.8 as well but it's more $$$. I paid $120 for mine from Poland. There are a lot of these up there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    I don´t think there is a Pentax 24mm 2.8 M42 lens, you must be thinking of the 3.5 lens?
    That's correct - the 24 that Pentax offered in M42 is f/3.5. I don't think I'd want to use that on a Pen FT. The Pentax is sized for a full-frame body, and together with the adapter would make an unwieldy match to the Pen FT body. Also, I find that focusing the 25/2.8 Pen Zuiko on the FT's fairly dim screen is difficult enough; I wouldn't relish the thought of trying to do it at f/3.5.

If you want something wide for the Pen I'd have patience and keep an eye out for the 25/2.8 Pen Zuiko.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're budget minded look for old M42 cameras with 50mm lenses attached. You can often get a camera and lens for less then some will want for just the lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin