Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,561   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any K mount camera with a M42 adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can recommend the Bessaflex (I have one). It is a good basic camera with stop down metering. Its only shortfall is it has no flash shoe. I got the correct accessory shoe for mine from Eb*y.
    I also have an Asahi Pentax SP1000 which is awaiting the day I can afford to have it refurbished (it needs the shutter speeds adjusted). Unfortunately Pentax UK will no longer accept ANY older cameras for servicing, so I will have to go to a third party service agent. That will cost between £145 to £235.

Shooter
    35mm
    well.. the flash shoe isn't all that important. i got most of the close fire range covered on the fm2. So, practuically, it has no shortfalls? I liked the bessaflex cause it was to some extent the same type of camera as the sp1000 (atleast from what i can gather). It fills the gap of the sp1000 without being an unnecessary competitor to my fm2.

EDIT: I have a flash setup for the sp1000 as well.. would that work on the voigtlander?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned earlier there are many options for M42, I have 6 or 7 M42 bodies some of which are holding up better than others. I still have my first Spotmatic bought in the 1960, the meter is not accurate but the shutter is dead on. I have another Spot with a good working meter, I bought a battery converter before I learned that for Spots a converter is not needed. Spots use stop down metering are rugged and very basic. The later F and ES (sutomatic shutter speed) bodiesuse open apature metering and some Fs and ES could be fitted with a motor drive. I also have a Chinon with a winder, good solid camera but the winder is only just working. Chinon, Ricoh, and Cosina made cameras for Sears, Ward, Penny's and Vivitar, again very basic but rugged cameras and cheap on Ebay. I have a Mamiya that used the M42 thread but a different pin system so my Pentex M42 lens dont meter at all, not even in stop down. Mamiya also made stop down metered single pin boides with a spot meter, the 500 and 1000. Yashica and Fuji made variants of the M42 mount so you need to be careful about the model so can match the standard M42 lens with the correct body. On the high end Alpha and Context made M42 mount cameras as well. Most of the older cameras used 625 mercury batteries, you can find converters, use Winn Air or hearing aid batteris.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've also got a Bessaflex - I quite like it - sturdy, fits well in my hands. I use primarily Russian/Soviet M42 lenses, most (all?) of which are manual, so I use stop-down anyway

The only thing I'm not crazy about on it is the LED metering - easier to see in lower-light than a needle, but harder to tell exactly how far + or - you actually are.

In fact, although I'm keeping the Bessaflex for now, I've just bought a couple of Pentax ME Supers from KEH (cheap in "bgn" condition, which should be just fine), and a couple of m42-k-mount adapters from B&H (I wanted genuine Pentax adapters, but was told there was a 1-2 month waiting list), so that I can take advantage of the ME Super's aperture priority (or at least this is supposed to work with stop-down metering from what I've read) and yet still have a manual mode if I want.

Also, I just bought an early 90's vintage (Belo-)Russian "Zenit-ET", which is M42 mount and has an uncoupled selenium meter. I really only bought it because it was a cheap way to get the lens I wanted on it (Helios 44M-6) - but in my experience finding working selenium meters in even relatively recent FSU cameras to be fairly random. But, having another M42 body can't be bad
    Last edited by mabman; 07-24-2007 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a Bessaflex Group on Flickr, if you would like to see what this camera can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    The old Fujicas (ST-605, ST-701, etc.) are nice compact machines. There is also the Ricoh TLS, which usually sells for a pittance, especially in the Sears version. I doubt I have ever paid more than $20 for a universal screw mount camera.
    I own several Fujica ST-series SLRs and they are a delight to use. They have brighter viewfinders than the Spotmatics. They are somewhat rare, however, in N. America and are now commanding $50-100 on eBay.

Another alternative would be the Yashica TL-Electro. I own one and the viewfinders are similarly bright. The TL-Electro also has mirror lock-up and a higher flash sync speed (nominally 1/125 sec, though likely 1/90 sec in actuality) than most M42s.

Best of all they can usually be had (with the sadly flare-prone Yashinon DX 50mm f/1.4) for about $30.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=aldevo;496703]I own several Fujica ST-series SLRs and they are a
    Another alternative would be the Yashica TL-Electro. I own one and the viewfinders are similarly bright. The TL-Electro also has mirror lock-up and a higher flash sync speed (nominally 1/125 sec, though likely 1/90 sec in actuality) than most M42s.

What battery does the Yashica TL Electro use?

Shooter
    35mm
    I mothballed my SP500 and Spotmatic F (both with dead meters) when I got a Fujica ST801. Very nicely built and nice features.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's possible to get Pentax cameras of the 60's & 70's serviced for around the £45-£60 mark by a repairer in Derbyshire, UK who lists on the Uk ebay site as Camera Repairer. He will do models other than just those he lists. I've used him for a Pentax Super ME and he was fine. These prices include replacing the light seals & mirror bumper & you can be 100% sure they will need replacing after 30 to 40 plus years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin