Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 778

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax SP1000 replacement

My dad gave me his old pentax sp1000 a while ago, together with some lenses, filters etc. The camera is in pretty bad shape, but the lenses and the rest of the equipment are fine. Would be a shame to just have the lenses sitting there, so i figured i'd get a new camera body that fit them. I was thinking i would get an identical asahi pentax sp1000, but those don't seem to be that easy to come by, and even rarer in good condition.

So my question is, what other cameras could i be looking for? Anything that fits the pentax screw mount the sp1000 has would be of interest. My knowledge of cameras is limited and being rather new to photography i've focused mostly on the nikon fm2n i bought a short time before i got the pentax. the fm2n would be a much better starter to build on i figure, but i still got all these pentax lenses i can't use.. so well.. i need a camera for them.

I guess what i'm looking for is peoples experiences with different cameras that fit the bill. Durability, functionality, and also availability on the second hand market.

Lemme hear your thoughts people
    Last edited by Degenetron; 07-24-2007 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spellcheck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a Voigtlander Bessaflex TM. You might even still be able to get one new. Although they were recently discontinued Robert White in the Uk are still showing them in stock. (when the linked page opens you'll need to scroll down to Voigtlander SLR Cameras)
    Last edited by Andy K; 07-24-2007 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's still tons of milage to be had on cold-war era Prakticas. The one that I have is as old as my dad, the meter is accurate (and not stopdown metering!), the shutter is accurate, it takes a 625 battery (not a mercury battery) and the thing is damn near bulletproof.

I don't take mine out often since I got a Spotmatic but that's mostly because the Praktica was my very first camera and I'd feel awful if I lost it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy a Spotmatic on eBay, there are always quite a few of them there. Since a Spotmatic is, depending on model, at least 30 years old, it would be a good idea to it serviced (f. ex. here: http://pentaxs.com/). Spotmatic cameras are very well made cameras, and will last a long time if properly cared for.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    Andy K: Hmm.. the voightlander seems like an excellent idea. And if i could get a brand new one.. damn.. thats just amazing. Didn't even cross my mind that i could get a new camera for these old lenses. It's about 10x more expensive than the used sp1000's i've found though, but well.. no doubt worth the money and well within reach.

zenrhino: thanks for the tip man i'll spend some time looking into the old prakticas. Wasn't aware that the lenses i had would fit this many camera brands.. I was expecting people to come up with a couple other pentax models.. but man.. this is excellent

Just for good measure.. m42 would be the name of the lens fitting for the sp1000, yes?
    I didn't even know this.. that alone will make this easier

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old Fujicas (ST-605, ST-701, etc.) are nice compact machines. There is also the Ricoh TLS, which usually sells for a pittance, especially in the Sears version. I doubt I have ever paid more than $20 for a universal screw mount camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they are M42 lenses. There are many cameras that will take them. Zenit, Praktica, Pentax, Fujica, Contax, Pentacon, Yashica, Ricoh, Voigtlander, Mamiya... the list goes on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the Mamiya you have to be careful. They made various different mounts. I think going back and forth to confuse the issue.

Somebody will jump up and cry but I've got an old Cosina that in many ways is better then my old Spotmatic. OTOH it is bigger by a fair bit. OTOH the more common stuff will be easier to find.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, almost everyone except Nikon and Canon made cameras in M42 mount.

Shooter
    35mm
    hmm.. seems i have some reading to do. While i have to admit i fell hard for the voigtlander bessaflex tm, (the thought of a store new, old school camera that fits my lenses is too much i think ) I would still appreciate more ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin