Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 768

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've shot a fair amount of stuff with a TLR and while I definitely like it for many things, in general it's not for me.

Those Zeiss lenses were just killer. I'm really tempted to go back...never sell cameras!

JD-

I'm actually looking for something significantly smaller than the 5D which is why I first got interested in the OM's. They're MUCH smaller! I carried a 5D with 24-105 f/4 around NYC last week shooting a job and it was just monstrous. Too much for what I want to do. The EOS 3 is pretty much the same size as the 5D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An added benefit of getting an RTS II or an OM is that you'll be able to use the lenses from those systems with your 5D. Just get the proper adapters & the canon Ee-s focusing screen. Until recently, I did not own a Canon lens. I only used Zeiss and Zuiko glass with my 5D.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since you're not wedded to the Canon glass - I'd recommend the Nikon F3HP if you are sure you will be satisfied with manual focus. The aperture priority feature (should you want to use it) is handy for "quick" shooting. An excellent condition F3HP with a fast 50mm Nikkor lens can be had from around $275 to $300 or so.

The F3 is a lot smaller than the F or F2 - and yet is built quite robustly (as attested to by the fact it was a very popular PJ camera).

However, if you think you might want the option of auto focus - the F-100 (w/o the optional power pack) is a very nice small body choice. I find I often prefer carrying it instead of my F-5 when I am traveling because of its smaller size.

I don't know the other brands (always been a Nikonian in 35mm) but but nice thing about your "problem" is that there is so much to choose from, as opposed to so little!

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta X-700

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chini View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Wolfeye-

I know. There is no perfect camera but there are things I've learned to avoid and things I've learned to seek out. One of them is a 95%+ viewfinder. I'm very careful when I compose my shots and I like to print full-frame. I also want a small, lightweight but durable camera and very sharp, high-quality lenses. That's really it! No autofocus or bells and whistles needed. So far that leaves me with the OM's, Pentax K's, a couple of Nikons (F3, F100) and the Contax series. Canon, unfortunately is all about bells and whistles and even though I shoot Canon, for street photography, I much prefer not to.
    The Minolta X-700 has a 95% viewfinder. Lenses are great, especially the 24mm 2.8 that I see on eBay fetching $200. Small, light, and handsome:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ax700/spec.htm

I know and love this camera, own two myself. I also own an OM-10, Canon A-1, a Nikon EM, a Pentax K1000, and more, but this would be my first choice for what you seek.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you've already identified your best SLR options. The OM1/2 fit the bill ideally. Both offer about 97% viewfinder coverage, are small, light and beautifully constructed.

Personally speaking I'd go for an OM2n - this incorporates all the improvements made over the lifetime of the OM2 and also gives aperture priority over the OM1 (purists may complain and say we should be happy with a fully manual camera - I say "pah!") The OM2 SP seems to have some battery draining issues.

Additionally, Zuiko lenses are beautifully compact, sharp and very cheap at the moment.

I must say I'm biased, I've just bought an OM2n myself after deciding to try film again. I wish it would hurry up and get delivered!

On the subject of rangefinders, I tried a Yashica Electro 35GSN recently. Although it has a fine reputation and looked great, it weighed an awful lot and wasn't very easy to handle. Additionally the focus lines were very faint.

The Pentax's mentioned are fine as well, but not quite in the same class as the OM1/2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax's mentioned are fine as well, but not quite in the same class as the OM1/2.[/QUOTE]

The OM system was disigned as a full system with both winders and a drive, the one Pentax that was a full professional camera was the LX, I almost traded in my F2 for a LX, but at the time most Camera Shops rented Nikon lens that I only used on occassion. The LX value has held up over the years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pentax ME Super for the small-SLR win! I love that little camera. It just feels right in my hands.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Go to a used camera store.
    Do you actually think they still have those?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OT. Did anyone notice that jd callow now has a better self portrait in his avitar?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I love Zeiss glass too. Have you held a Contax Aria? Tiny, lite..nearly rf sized with auto advance and 5 kinds of metering. Sharp little guy.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin