Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 753

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

a vote for the OMs

I just got referred over to this site from another forum, Texas Photo Forum. There was a discussion of what other forums folks visited. And sure enough, the first thread I looked in on was this one, so I had to register with y'all too.

I've had OM stuff since the late 70's, due specifically to their size. I was backpacking and bicycle tripping all over the world, and wanted lightweight but bulletproof equipment. Currently my OM-1 and OM2n don't receive much use due to a Mamiya 6 I got a few years ago. I recently sold another OM2n body to a high school student with the 50mm f1.8 lens for $50, since she was just starting out and I had 3 bodies.
    I'll have to say that everytime I scan one my old negatives from the Olympus cameras I'm just blown away by how good those lenses are. And since they are not readily compatible with new digital stuff, they are cheaper than the old Pentax and Nikon stuff. My absolute favorite lens is the 28mm f2.8. I think the one I have is as good as my Mamiya 6 lenses, and that's saying a lot.

Shooter
    35mm
    My Pentax ME Supers arrived late last week - on the thread topic, I am extremely surprised at how small and light they are. I shot some film with one of them this weekend, with a Jupiter-9 and Volna-9 (with an M42-mount adapter) - it was very nice to have it fit so well in my hand. The only problem I can see is that if I use a neck strap my lenses may unbalance it and cause some issues - but heavy Russian lenses aren't the camera's fault

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jupiter-9 and Volna-9 (with an M42-mount adapter) -

You need to be careful when using a wide angle lens with an adapter as some (I think including the Pentex brand) block the internal light meter on the ME with 28mm and wider lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get a holga for street stuff!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be another vote for the OM system. I've been using it since the 1970s and find them light, user friendly and very reliable and the glass is great. I have been gradually going Leica over the last two years, but my OM-2n's and OM-4Ti's are still in almost daily use. The only proviso is that I'd avoid the straight OM-4 (not the Ti version) which has a deserved reputation as a battery eater. I am told that the OM-2 spot has the same problem, but I have never had one and so can't comment.

David.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin