Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,164   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon AE-1

Shooter
    35mm

Canon AE-1

I'm borrowing my girlfriend Dad's Canon AE-1 this weekend, He let me borrow the 50mm f/1.8, and a 80-200 f/3.4-4.

I know it has a program mode.. I am wondering, I want to be able to shoot controlling the Aperture, but NOT the Shutter speed. Basically, I wanna be in Aperture priority. Is this possible?

Oh, how is this 50mm f/1.8? :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AE-1 is just manual and shutter priority. The AE-1 Program also has program mode. Basically you are going to be stuck with manual mode if you want direct control of the aperture.

The 50mm should be just fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Damn, That sucks oh well

thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a AE-1p and you just turn the lens off of the "A" mark to whatever aperture, and then leave the dial on "P" and it will automatically set the speed to the aperture. Or you can leave the lens mark on "A", and adjust your shutter speed.
    Have fun,
    Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnash67 View Post
    I have a AE-1p and you just turn the lens off of the "A" mark to whatever aperture, and then leave the dial on "P" and it will automatically set the speed to the aperture. Or you can leave the lens mark on "A", and adjust your shutter speed.
    Have fun,
    Joe

I was thinking that'd work. Wasn't sure though.

Oddly enough, My name is Joe as well XD

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dana44 View Post
    I'm borrowing my girlfriend Dad's Canon AE-1 this weekend, He let me borrow the 50mm f/1.8, and a 80-200 f/3.4-4.

I know it has a program mode.. I am wondering, I want to be able to shoot controlling the Aperture, but NOT the Shutter speed. Basically, I wanna be in Aperture priority. Is this possible?

Precise control over the lens's aperture from the camera was a main advantage of the FD system at that time. It was the prerequisite for a well functioning auto-exposure function with time priority. Other manufacturers couldn't do it, or they couldn't do it well, because they only had crude levers to stop down the lens, while Canon had a precise aperture lever in each lens that could be controlled by the camera.

Personally I have always preferred time priority. It is an advantage when you shoot free hand, which is what most people do all the time. I think it is a main reason for the success of the AE-1 and AE-1 Program.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    Precise control over the lens's aperture from the camera was a main advantage of the FD system at that time. It was the prerequisite for a well functioning auto-exposure function with time priority. Other manufacturers couldn't do it, or they couldn't do it well, because they only had crude levers to stop down the lens, while Canon had a precise aperture lever in each lens that could be controlled by the camera.

Personally I have always preferred time priority. It is an advantage when you shoot free hand, which is what most people do all the time. I think it is a main reason for the success of the AE-1 and AE-1 Program.
    Yes, I agree with your reasoning. When the AE-1 first came out, I bought one and it created quite a sensation among my friends who only had aperture-priority cameras. Canon also make a lower priced AT-1 and AV-1, with shutter-priority and aperture priority, respectively. But I don't recall the difference now, after all these years, between the AE-1 and the AT-1. All these were later followed with the A-1, which then became my 35mm camera of choice, because it offered all three options: shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and full program modes, in addition to full manual.

They were really nice, reliable cameras.

Pat

Shooter
    35mm
    So I can control the Aperture manually, and letter it adjust the shutter accordingly? I only want to control the aperture. that's it.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dana44 View Post
    Before I forget it: That is a really good lens.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    Canon also make a lower priced AT-1 and AV-1, with shutter-priority and aperture priority, respectively. But I don't recall the difference now, after all these years, between the AE-1 and the AT-1.
    The AT-1 was a match needle manual, the A-line "equivalent" of the FTb. It had no automatic function of any kind.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin