Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 759

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    you want a 28-90mm p&s camera?

Yashica T4 Zoom comes close (28-70)...nice zeiss lens.
    Olympus Stylus 100 Wide (28-100).

that's all i can think of...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Yashica T4 Super (tiny waist level viewfinder - excellent for street photography) and I love it. Tough, weather resistant, compact.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yashica T4 28-70mm sounds great, but I can't find any available new, and very few used. I guess they have been out of production for a while.
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Yashica T4 28-70mm sounds great, but I can't find any available new, and very few used. I guess they have been out of production for a while.
    Ian
    Most PS 35 have been out of production for several years. I think Pentex and Olypums still make a PS, or it just may new old stock.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Seems like lots of people like the Olympus. I can get a Olympus mju-III Zoom 80 or 120 new. Only opens up to 38mm at the wide end, but there doesn't seem to be anything wider with a zoom lens. All of the 28-xx models have been discontinued, presumably because it sounds better to offer a longer telephoto focal length than a few extra mm at the wide end. The weather proof design is a useful feature.

Close focus is 60cm, which is about as good as it gets with this type of camera. How fast and accurate is the auto-focus? As far as I can tell there is no dedicated close-up mode unlike the Canon Sureshot. Is this likely to cause difficulties if the camera is being regularly used close to its minimum focus limit?

Ian
    I assume you're asking about the Olympus Stylus and you want to know how fast it focuses and how close you can shoot. The auto-focus is as fast as any automatic 35mm I have used, and you can focus down to just a few inches. I would not get the zoom, rather the fixed focal 35mm. Reason? The fixed lens is f/2.8 and the zooms are waaaaaaaaay slower than that--almost impossible to use hand-held except in exceedingly bright light or when using an ISO >400. Also, with the fixed lens, it's ready to shoot the instant you slide open the clam shell, whereas with the zoom you have to wait for it to zoom into it's "normal" position. Just my opinion, plus years of experience with this camera model.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is a first class camera. I have on like this.
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax mentioned is excellent (a friend uses one). I had a Minilux that died with shutter problems, even though I used it very little and pampered it. Perhaps others have had better luck but you hear mention of this quite often.

A forgotten performer that hasn't been mentioned is the Konica Lexio series. I've abused these as glove box/tackle box cameras and they just keep on going. The lenses on these are absolutely top-notch. They're available at very affordable prices when they pop up on eBay. I've gotten them for friends and my daughter and they all have only good to say about theirs. The WR series from Pentax is very rugged and have excellent optics. An insurance adjuster friend equipped his staff with these when they were still using film and even tumbles from roofs didn't stop them. He swore they were indestructible.
    Craig Schroeder

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contax TVS (might be a bit pricey tho').
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olympus Stylus epic is very inexpensive for the quality you can get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if it is still made, but I like the Minolta 75w, which has a 28-70 zoom.

David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin