Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Mum and I are going to have to work out what Dad is going like best (it's meant to be a birthday present, so we will have to approach this with subtlety!). That Contax from KEH is looking mighty tempting. OTOH, although he has been using zoom cameras for years, he spent many years before that quite happily using a FED-2 rangefinder and 50mm lens so maybe the Olympus with 35mm/2.8 may be the better option after all.
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a note, when it worked my Stylus Epic took great pictures - however it died shortly after I went on vacation - no abuse that I can think of - very frustrating. However, it seems that mine is a minority experience with this camera.

I did, however, pick up an Olympus Stylus 120 as a replacement - this one works very well, has zoom, and has a nice lens, especially for a zoom camera. Two issues with it - the flash pops up when the clamshell is opened, and is unfortunately easy to block it - the camera won't work with it blocked (doesn't seem to break anything, though). Secondly, the shutter speed maxes out about 1/600, and the camera doesn't seem to complain about overexposure beyond that (but it does about underexposure), so don't do like I did and use 1600 ISO film outside in the sun Although, I did get some cool blown-out pictures of people from it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    B&H has a number of them listed including Canon, which was to my memory always very highly rated. The problem with many were the fact that as you zoomed out the maximum aperture went smaller and smaller. I've many of the old magazines when P&S's were the rage and I remember the ads stating apertures going to F9.9 to F12 at the longer ends of many of the longer zooms, necessitating slower shutter speeds and the potential for camera shake. Then of course you had the flashes operating to produce light. That's why the fixed FL Epic was such a hit besides the wide lens. The 28 is actually a very nice FL for landscape stuff. Maybe not great for portraits, but the shutter goes high and you can use a higher speed film.

I think that one of the better lensed small p&s style cameras was the 35mm RF Minox although it did have it's drawbacks. The Leica lens tho was outstanding.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another vote for Olympus Stylus Epic. Better off with a quality fixed focal length than a mediocre zoom.
    Len Eselson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'll go against the grain and suggest the Loreo 321. It's inexpensive. In 2D mode it takes decent snapshots. It also has a 3D stereoscopic mode that you won't find with the others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sorry, I have to recommend the Canon Sureshot Z90U. Dirt cheap, the 38mm is as wide as I ever need, of course I use a Nikor 35/2.0 as my normal Nikon lens...

I load B&W film in my Sureshot and am very pleased with the results. I plan on sending it up on a kite later this year.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Ahhhhh zoom, the killer of all my recomendations. The Olympus Sylus Epic is still in production but curse that fixed lens.
    Buying that in 3 days!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin