Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,201   Online: 844

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What is a good P&S?

I know this question has come up a few times before, but the answers go out of date so fast as the number of models in production diminishes.

I am looking for suggestions for a 35mm P&S camera for my father. It will mainly be used while he is out walking - day trips or the walking holidays my parents go on regularly.

Criteria are that it is small, light weight, simple to operate. Zoom is needed as it will be used to take pictures of landscapes, portraits, and close-ups of flowers (being realistic, not expecting anything close to true macro, but a close-up mode so the camera doesn't keep trying to focus on the distant mountain rather than the wild flowers in the foreground). Ideally a zoom range of 28-90mm or thereabouts.

After buying a piece of junk at short notice from ebay when his previous camera broke 10 days before going on holiday, I want something brand new, with full instructions, and a guarantee. He is not interested in D......l, don't even suggest it

Canon Sureshot Z90U is about the best I've seen, but the lower zoom range starts at 38mm and wider would be better. Money is not necessarily an object so if there is something expensive that most retailers wouldn't stock, suggest away!

Thanks,
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentex IQs are still around, new old stock, as well as used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ahhhhh zoom, the killer of all my recomendations. The Olympus Sylus Epic is still in production but curse that fixed lens.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've had an Olympus Stylus zoom for about 10 years now. Love it. It can pass for a Real Camera<tm>. Still running strong. I think they still have at least one version of this available new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus mju zoom 105. Great reliable little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yashica T4 without the data-back
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I also love the Olympus Stylus Epic. It came in handy when I was in China and my 35mm SLR stopped working.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    I've had an Olympus Stylus zoom for about 10 years now. Love it. It can pass for a Real Camera<tm>. Still running strong. I think they still have at least one version of this available new.
    Yes, you're right. It's still available new. I took mine on a trip around the USA and with 400 speed color print film I got some great results. It was refreshing not to have to lug around a heavy camera bag for once.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ....the one that's in your pocket!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seems like lots of people like the Olympus. I can get a Olympus mju-III Zoom 80 or 120 new. Only opens up to 38mm at the wide end, but there doesn't seem to be anything wider with a zoom lens. All of the 28-xx models have been discontinued, presumably because it sounds better to offer a longer telephoto focal length than a few extra mm at the wide end. The weather proof design is a useful feature.

Close focus is 60cm, which is about as good as it gets with this type of camera. How fast and accurate is the auto-focus? As far as I can tell there is no dedicated close-up mode unlike the Canon Sureshot. Is this likely to cause difficulties if the camera is being regularly used close to its minimum focus limit?

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin