Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,582   Online: 1181

Thread: Zeiss lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zeiss lenses

Where Zeiss lenses for Contax RTS were made. They were so good. If they are made in Japan (not sure) why ZF should be behind (on side that one single reason, Pb).

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At Kyocera, who I believe made most of the raw glass. These were sometimes listed under Yashica, with a few similar lenses in the Yashica line. The big exception was the Contax 645, which had no Yashica equivalent. As I recall, there were Zeiss quality control people at Kyocera, and the designs originated from Zeiss.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Originally, the Contax RTS lenses were made in Germany. Over time, most of the production shifted to Kyocera in Japan, but a small minority of the lenses continued to be made exclusively in Germany - the 60mm Makro-Planar and the 180mm F2.8 Sonnar being examples. I think the fisheye was also always made in Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TheFlyingCamera
    That 60 macro is actualy the reason why I posted it. I have field test (not curves...) and shows just it is so nice lens, as one could expect from Zeiss. I am just trying to find a way how could compare that ZF 50 F2 macro with Contax macro.
    So they could not find adecvate manufacturer for their Contax macro but now they got one to make all ZF lenses. Looks funny.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know if it was an issue of adequate manufacture there or not. It may have been any number of factors, like they wanted to keep certain glass formulas proprietary, or there may have been environmental legislation that wouldn't let them make something in Japan that they could in Germany, or who knows? Could have been a labor union issue. Note that the ZF 50 f2 Macro is a different design altogether from the 60 Makro-Planar. They did make the 60 C (Compact) Macro for the Contax system in Japan, which only focused to 1:2, not 1:1 like the non-compact version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In question is 1:2. So they made that 1:2 Macro in Japan. Good, and thanks a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    In question is 1:2. So they made that 1:2 Macro in Japan. Good, and thanks a lot.
    http://www.contaxusa.com/lensdetail....&parent=123000

You can find the MTF charts and so forth about this lens here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i think the fisheye also comes in mm-type as well as ae. i've watched a few go on ebay recently. the mm and ae version differ in their appearance quite a bit, if i'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Originally, the Contax RTS lenses were made in Germany. Over time, most of the production shifted to Kyocera in Japan, but a small minority of the lenses continued to be made exclusively in Germany - the 60mm Makro-Planar and the 180mm F2.8 Sonnar being examples. I think the fisheye was also always made in Germany.
    And the 85 f1.4 Planar
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin