Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,203   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K1000 ice age

Shooter
    35mm

K1000 ice age

Hallo,

I need some technical advice with regards to a Pentax K1000 camera that has mysteriously 'frozen' up as the lens was closing. I took a picture at f/16 with a SMC 3.5 28mm lens. Suddenly - nothing.
    I can see looking into the lens a small opening with the shutters stuck around it. I assume that because the camera is so well know that somebody has experienced this before. I bought the camera and lens second hand off the net but this is the first time I have ever had a problem. It refuses to respond.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to causes or what I may do to fix it.

Appreciate any help. Mel.
    Last edited by melmoth; 07-28-2007 at 08:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The K1000 has a mechanical shutter, it sounds like it's jammed. You're looking at the lens aperture diaphragm which closes down just before the shutter fires and re-opens afterwards.

The tone of your post seems to assume that the shutter itself in the camera body has jammed open, and that you can't wind the film on. If this is the case the camera needs to be repaired, which unfortunately isnt cheap.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    grab the camera by the top, hit it downward, with the bottom firmly stricking the palm of your hand. I'm not quite sure why this works, but it does on many mechanical models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is your mirror stuck in the up position? Mine sometimes sticks and locks up due to deteriorating seals in the place the mirror stops when it goes up. I think replacing the seals will fix this problem, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    is it the shutter that is stuck, or the lens aperture is closed down and won't open?

it sounds like maybe the aperture lever is stuck .. or the little "pod/lubricant" is dried out

there is little lever on the bottom of your lens that slides back and forth freely
    so you can be f2, when you are stopped down to f16 (at least when focusing &C)
    if THAT is the problem - (your shutter fires fine, with the lens off of it)
    a repair guy/gal should be able to fix it - with a pair of tweezers ...
    if it is the lubricant that is dried out, that can be fixed too. a repair person will have
    no trouble opening +cla'ing your lens.

good luck !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rewind the film and open the back. If the shutter is closed re-cock the advance and release it again while watching. I bet if the shutter works the lens is bad. It probably will be mechanical.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Hallo Wayne,

I rewound the film and took it out. The shutter was closed. I re-cocked the advance lever and fired the camera. It worked! The lens diaphragm closed correctly.
    The film is free. I don't know why the lens froze or if it will happen again. But for the moment, I am grateful for all the suggestions. A result!
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate that. Mel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Take a loupe or magnifying glass and see if there is oil on the blades. Either way you may want to get the lens cla'd. Probably needs greased. There are a couple of people around that can help you out. Eric at http://www.pentaxs.com/ or Paul Ebel whose number is around somewhere, google or search it here.
    W.A. Crider

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Eric at http://www.pentaxs.com/ or Paul Ebel whose number is around somewhere, google or search it here.
    Thanks for that link. I've bookmarked it. I've wondered where I can go when mine starts acting up {knocking on wood}.

Shooter
    35mm

Be warned

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth View Post
    Hallo Wayne,

I rewound the film and took it out. The shutter was closed. I re-cocked the advance lever and fired the camera. It worked! The lens diaphragm closed correctly.
    The film is free. I don't know why the lens froze or if it will happen again. But for the moment, I am grateful for all the suggestions. A result!
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate that. Mel.

That the problem is gone is good, that the problem is gone is bad. I know first-hand, much to my sadness, how this can go. I had a Minolta with an occasional bad picture - 1/2 of the image was unexposed. Sticky shutter I reckon, now, in hindsight. But it was such a rare problem and I used the camera so little... until I needed it for my honeymoon. Twelve rolls of film shot, yielding only 60 images or so. The rest lost to the jamming shutter.

Get the camera looked-at, repaired, or buy a new one. You won't be wishing you had.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin