Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,823   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon FA Aperture Issues

Hi All,

I have a used Nikon FA that I'm having Av issues with. The spring aperture mechanism for the lens mount does not retract all the way to the starting position with I remove a lens. There seems to be a little stiffness and as a results it does not retract completely. Even if I pull the mechanism into place, the camera does not recognize certain apertures while in Av mode.

Anyone else have a similar problem and, if so, what did you do to resolve it? I'm not sure if the camera it worth getting repaired and it does work fine in Tv and Program modes without difficulty.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it bent? I had a camera once that was damaged from mounting a lens improperly, and that's what happened to the AI coupling ring that you're talking about.

Sometimes just playing with the ring and giving it a lot of activity can free it up, but if it's bent it will probably require repair.

I'd recommend that you get the work done - the FA is a great camera and you'll be free to use A and M modes if you do that.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your response. I doesn't appear bent but it does stick so there may be some warping that prevent free operation. I do agree with you regarding the FA, so I'll get it looked at.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You might try a VERY SMALL amount of Ronsonol (lighter fluid) or 99% Isopropyl Alchohol. I do this with my older cameras. Used it to free up the rings on a Retina IIIS and repair many stuck shutters on Canonets.

Sometimes a lubricant or dirt/grime messes these little mechanisms up. Sometimes, a little solvent helps. Use a very small amount.

HOWEVER: The FA is a great camera, and a general CLA will always make it work better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    You might try a VERY SMALL amount of Ronsonol (lighter fluid) or 99% Isopropyl Alchohol. I do this with my older cameras. Used it to free up the rings on a Retina IIIS and repair many stuck shutters on Canonets.

Sometimes a lubricant or dirt/grime messes these little mechanisms up. Sometimes, a little solvent helps. Use a very small amount.

HOWEVER: The FA is a great camera, and a general CLA will always make it work better.
    Where would I apply the lubricant? Would I have to remove the lens mount first or can I just apply it to the AI ring?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've not had to do this to any of my AI Nikons with rings, they just have not been sticky(Nikkormat FT3, FM, FE2, EL2, F3).

On the Retina IIIS and on some of my fixed-lens cameras with aperture/shutter rings, and a Canon 50/1.4 RF lens- I apply a small amount on the outside of the ring. I would try that first on the Nikon AI ring, then work it a little. If it frees up, swab it with a Q-Tip. That worked on my Retina IIIS and a Konica S2, as well as the sticky Canon aperture ring.

I would not remove the lens mount unless you've got some experience assembling and disassembling cameras. The latter is always easier...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin